Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

A Pretty Yard

Last post Sat, May 14 2011 9:11 AM by babs. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 27 2011 12:00 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

A Pretty Yard

It's nice to see something pleasant from the window but is that view worth a lot of money?

Do you have yard decorations? What are frugal ideas for them?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Apr 27 2011 2:08 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Re: A Pretty Yard

inexpensive multicolored whirly gigs, chimes that were not inexpensive but were bought with gift cash/gift cards, perrenials from a garden swap, bucket of flowers that I assemble myself for much less than the ones at the store, pans of water by a bush the birds frequent--very cute to watch them splash and bathe

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Wed, Apr 27 2011 5:54 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

My view is worth a lot more than money.  Come over here, through this arbor and I'll explain.  See this lilac?  It's in all its glory right now.  When mom got ready to sell her old homestead I got starts from the lilac bush my grandmother planted during WWII.  Never knew my grandmother, she died long before I was even thought of. 

See that red bud and dogwood tree, they were here when we moved in.  They really compliment each other, don't they?  I could only afford a little creeping Myrtle to plant under them, but over the years, it has really filled in that space.  Be careful now, those flagstones in the paths aren't as level as the ones you pay for cause DH and I spent a lot of time finding them in the woods and hauling them out.  We were a lot younger them!

Come this way.  In about another month this wisteria will be blooming,  You need to come back then.  Mom and dad gave it to me about twelve years ago.  Planted it by a trellis and by the second year it was pulling the trellis down.  Our friend Danny helped DH build a pergola in under the old trellis.  Took them a whole day and a lot of beer to get it done, but those ceder posts are set in concrete.  If I don't keep an eye on it, it sends shoots off underground which pop up all over.  Have to take an ax to it then.  

Over there are some perennial hibiscus, the originals came from my mom's garden.  The irises planted next to them came from my mom's bff.  Worried about her, she's not doing too good, but then she is 83. 

We can skip this next section if you want, I bought a little each year and now it is getting a little over grown.  Nothing really sentimental.  Oh, wait a minute, see those Japanese irises?  They were a gift from an elderly friend.

Did I tell you that before the perennials break ground, this area is just covered in these really pretty delicate white wild flowers?  This is where I came across the timber rattler a few years ago.  That's a story in itself. 

This part here?  Gimme a second, sorry I teared up so bad.  They are just starting to bloom.  Oh, there I go again, sorry.  When I look at this area it makes me happy even though I got mascara running down my face and I'm blubbering like a baby.  Its just that I can't help but remember the day dad and I went to some woods on land he still owned and collected Jacob's ladder.  We came back here and planted them.  Just look at how they've spread over the years.  Reminds me of that spring day. Over there is garden seating Dad made me.  It's starting to fall apart, but I just can't make myself get rid of it.  I really miss him.

Well, lets look at some other flowers.  This area is full of day lilies and as you can tell from the others we've already passed, I love them.  They were all bought though.

Here is a lil' Antony.  I got a start off a good friend's mom's plant.  She said at the time that she didn't know what the real name was, or what white's called it but her folk (African-Americans) had always called it by that name.  Such a pretty flowering bush.  She's gone now too.

This huge spread of irises came from just one of each color we kinda took.  We were down in Howell County one time and had finally located where my great-great-great grandpa lived.  He died in the early '50's.  We found some people in the area who told us the house burned soon after he died and the yard and orchard had reverted to the wild.  Well, we were probably trespassing but we found these survivors and dug out a few and brought them here.  Sure have multiplied since then.

Oh, I'm sorry, you asked about cost.  I did buy those angels scattered around through the garden, but most were bought at yard sales. 

By the way, I'm at a point where I have to divide lots of plants each year so you want me to give you a call?  I give away lots each year. Just paying it forward.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Apr 27 2011 9:54 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

grame that is my idea of a pretty yard!   except the jacobs ladder...that stuff takes over a yard here.    I like to have something blooming all year. ..still a work in progress and  my roses are not working out no luck with them! 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Thu, May 12 2011 12:10 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

MarthaMFI:
    except the jacobs ladder...that stuff takes over a yard here.    I like to have something blooming all year. ..still a work in progress and  my roses are not working out no luck with them! 

Jacob's Ladder  only gorws here in very deep shade.  Can't take even partial sunlight here, so it can't get invasive.  I'm pretty lucky as I've had this garden for a long while, so I usually have something blooming from late February to December (last winter was a long, dreary exception)

I gave up on tea roses, a flop in my garden.  Now I only have bush roses, and only older varieties.  They do well.  Tried rugosas and hated them - i SWEAR they were sent from the devil himself.  Blowtorch in hand, we fought them & finally won.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Sat, May 14 2011 12:09 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

think I have to start with bush roses or hedge ones..I think   whatever the low bushy ones.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, May 14 2011 9:11 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

WE have had the snow drops, then the daffodills, tulips, now the bleeding hearts and ground phlox are blooming, The cherrys bloomed two weeks ago, last week the peaches and now the 5 apple trees quince, magnolia and rhodedren  are in bloom.  Soon will be the iris, raspberrys and then followed by the balckberries. I love having the blooms follow each other,  The best this week in the oriental spice bush. It smells heavenly. It was here when be bought the house 21 years ago.   The peonys are up. Then later roses, daisys, tall phlox, blackeyed susans,  I almost forgot the poppys. More that I cant remember. I just love the outdoors and a flowering yard, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us