Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Teen Jobs

Last post 05-14-2012 5:43 PM by gayla50. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-27-2011 11:35 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Teen Jobs

We all know about baby sitting and cutting grass as money makers for teens. What are some other realistic options that allow a teen to work and be paid?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 04-27-2011 12:03 PM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 07-23-2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

Re: Teen Jobs

My oldest DS worked at Albertson's as a cashier all through high school. My youngest DS worked at a car wash last summer drying cars. He actually did pretty well. They paid $9.00 an hour plus tips but it was hot work in the Texas heat. 

• 04-27-2011 12:28 PM In reply to

I was a lifeguard and swim instructor assistant in high school (and college). I had to pass a test to become lifeguard-certified and take CPR and first aid but did that the spring I was 15 so I could be employed that summer. I also was a swimming lesson instructor assistant (minimal testing) that allowed me to assist those who were certified instructors. I later became a certified instructor.

But I was able to find summer employment first as a substitute lifeguard (worked 4 days a week usually just as a sub) and then later as I was hired on for full-time summer employment, i would work 5 to 6 days a week (I would work 4 full days and the offer to sub a couple of afternoons or evenings to make extra cash).

If a person is a good swimmer and there are pools nearby, this is a great summer job option. Once I became a certified swim instructor, i could also offer private swimming lessons and make even more money.  

Erika
  • 04-27-2011 12:34 PM In reply to

My kids did the lifeguard jobs, work in daycamps, deliver newspapers, stack wood , rake leaves, ice skating rink as a skate guard (winter ). There are a lot of jobs here for teens to pick berries in summer. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 04-27-2011 12:35 PM In reply to

Pet-sitting could be a good alternative.  I'm going to be asking a neighbor teen to watch our cats while we travel, but our dog has to be boarded b/c she's too high-maintenance.  I plan on asking the neighbor teen to spend just 45 minutes a day with our cats (30 minutes once, 15 minutes the second time or vice versa) and I'm going to offer $30 for this job with a nice tip if I come to at least 1 clean litter box.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 04-27-2011 2:06 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

weeding gardens, cleaning out garage/hauling trash to curb, baling hay, fast food,car wash, waiting tables,dishwasher

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• 04-27-2011 9:00 PM In reply to

Picking up dog poo and shovelling snow are reliable jobs around here.  They also provide motivation to go to college...

• 04-28-2011 10:52 AM In reply to

I was a math tutor in high school. I made $12/hour... that was back in about 1986.  I bet a teen could make over $20/hour these days tutoring or teaching lessons.

Get creative and sell a good or service on Fiverr.com... this is something my 13 y/o has been thinking about doing for a little extra cash.

"All you really need is one special monkey." -- C. J. Booher
  • 04-28-2011 2:17 PM In reply to

Go to 48days.net. Scroll down a bit and on the right hand side there is a sticky note graphic titled 48 Low Cost Business Ideas.  Click to download it for free.

I am a Personal Financial Coach helping individuals across the country save money, get out of debt, and live financially free without selling insurance, investments, or fancy software. Just plain 'ole common sense principles that work.
  • 04-28-2011 8:42 PM In reply to

My friends son cleaned snowoff cars at the Senoir housing complex. He charged $1 a car. He made good money doing this. There were more than 50 apts. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us