Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Two for One

Last post Thu, Apr 21 2011 12:46 AM by jayashiangel. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:12 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Two for One

Cooking ahead can be a great idea for getting the most out of saving time and money in food. It can take a lot of freezer space to cook too far ahead. Another idea is to prepare food that offer leftovers for another meal.

What are some of your favorite foods that give you one more meal from them? Do you eat it the same way or find ways to quickly change it to a different type of meal?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:18 AM In reply to

Re: Two for One

All large cuts of meat such as roasts and hams make more than one meal for us. I often cook extra rice or other grains for later use in soups, stir-fries, salds, puddings, etc. Lots of eggs hard-cooked at once can be used to make some deviled, egg salad, or additions to tuna salad and some casseroles.  AM
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:28 AM In reply to

ANYTHING in the crock pot, I feel that monster FULL... I think it's a five or six quart one and cooks up a mammoth of a meal. I am huge on crock pot soups. They never seem to end lol When the broth gets low I use more water and keep cooking it... they never seem to end - really! Chili goes a long ways too, craving that today as well.

Baked casseroles are another meal stretcher over here. I use huge lasgna pans and it yields multiple servings. Sometimes I can barely lift the pan lol

I've also found stretching ground meat can really help with multiple meals. I like adding veggies... onion... sometimes oats --- and then you can divide it up into batches for various meals.

Nice suggestions above, especially hard boiled eggs. I prefer to cook them in bulk as well.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 12:01 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

like Am  I cook rice for stir fry ..  Roast , Ham  and other large pieces of meat become something else  alot of time if I am brown hamburger I do several pounds and put it bags . I cook a beef brisket and slice it ... one of Franks favorite  are steak fries and egg noodles .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 2:48 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

BargainBinge, how many do you feed for a meal? Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 6:06 PM In reply to

chicken's the big one for us ... I can usually get 3 meals out of one, used in different ways.     Ham, pork roasts are also good ones to stretch.   We'll make large batches of chili, spaghetti sauce and soup and freeze portions for later.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 6:55 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

fogot to mention beans I use my roaster oven like a large crockpot and will cook usually  a 25  lbs ..  used to be just pinto now I make up white bean , kidney bean and black beans.  pintos I love the fact that I already had the hamburger and beans done to make chili for my bil famous chili burgers he freely admits he loves my chili ...lolBig Smile                                  

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 10:50 PM In reply to

I freeze a year's worth of vegetables and fruit from my garden (fruit from Aldi's).

When I cook pasta ofreans, I make a lot and freeze. Oatmeal and other cooked cereals, too.

• Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:48 PM In reply to

Cook rice ahead like fried rice and freeze some because I don't like eggs in mine so I do that seperate and the eggs in the rest then use it for left overs the next day.

I cook for one when its just breakfast saucage breakfast sandwhich the others are left over so we have it the next day that be rare mom cooks two days worth freeze the sandwhich so we can hit the road and have the sandwhich the other time.

• Thu, Apr 21 2011 12:46 AM In reply to

I make shredded chicken breast in the crockpot to portion on for 1 cup for meals (for 2 people) in baggie or 1/4 cup baggies for Lettuce wraps or Asian Salad..:O)a few examples for the meal portions.. 

• Shredded Chicken Enchiladas
    • BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
    • Queso Veggie Chicken Wraps
    • Taco Salad
    • Chicken Noodle Soup

I also will do Mexican Rice or White Rice and freeze the extra for quick side dishes when in a hurry.

I also do wonton wraps and freeze those for quick meals

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us