Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Fear the Beef!

Last post Fri, Apr 22 2011 8:43 AM by SAHMof4. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 10:34 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Fear the Beef!

With all the recalls and horror stories we are getting about ground beef, is it safe to buy and use?

How do you know what you have on your plate? Share your opinions on this, please.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Apr 20 2011 10:50 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: Fear the Beef!

no problems here!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:03 AM In reply to

I choose no pre-packaged chubs, just that ground in the store.  AM
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:04 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Generally I use our  own but when we out like now .. I can get mine at  our local store .... usually they know what farm its from .... I ask .

if it gets crazy like it has  I tell DH and we dispatch a cow ...

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:15 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Yipee!  I get to get up on my favorite soapbox.  Most of us would take on a Bengal tiger to protect our families, am I right?  What about the monster you are carrying into the house in your grocery bags.  DO THE RESEARCH!!!  Take a can or box from your pantry, sit down at the computer and research each ingrediant.

Do you know that everytime you get that healthy version of the chicken happy meal for a child you are feeding them butane?  Not my girl!  

Yes, our family eats beef, but it is probably different than what you eat.  Here is the deal on the beef most Americans eat.

Fact 1:  Cows graze.

Fact 2: Grazing cows take about three years to reach market weight.

Fact 3: Farmers traditionally offered grain (corn) as a supplemental choice for the last 90 days (sort of like dessert)

Agri-busines discovered that if they only offered corn (dessert) than the cow fattened up in about half the time but as any good momma knows, a diet that only contains dessert, will make you very, very sick.  Hence, massive amounts of antibiotics.

So, if you feed sick food...  Oh, don't even get me started on the GM corn fed to the cows does.

We combine with others & buy a cow (which yes, I can visit ahead of time) then pay to have it processed.  Yes, it is a hassel & ya pretty much have to have a deep freeze.  But if I want my family to have safe beef, this is what I need to do.

Oh, the only contaminated eggs have all come from factory farms.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 12:47 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Anna Marie:
    I choose no pre-packaged chub

I buy the meat ground in a local store but lately I wonder about what they put into that ground meat. The quality doesn't seem the same anymore.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Apr 20 2011 1:45 PM In reply to

I purchase my meat by the 1/2 or whole animal from one slaughter house who's extremely picky about cleaniness. I know the farmer I buy from and what is/isn't in the meat. I might not be a good option for everyone but it's the one that works the best for me so far.

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 2:43 PM In reply to

We buy a 1/2 a beef from a farmer/client of my dad's, butchered and processed in a small town family facility. Grass/hay fed and no hormones or antibiotics.

Erika
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 4:46 PM In reply to

We buy from local farms, who use local processors that I trust. 100% grass fed, on the farm from birth to slaughter weight. No hormones or antibiotics. I even know it's name. I am lucky that this research is part of my job! We eat local everything most of the time: pastured chicken, eggs, pork, beef. No GMO feeds. When we can't get it, we usually don't eat it. If we have to, we buy organic (not as good, but better than conventional).

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 4:51 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I only buy meat from stores I trust and never chubs!   We have different food rules up here too. like no hormones in our millk.    I get our beef at an organic place where I can buy a bag of frozen prepackaged 1lb packages so the bag is anywhere from 9 -13lbs. think it is 2.49 a lb that way because fresh is more expensive.   it lasts me a few months because we don't eat hamburger that much.

I do buy flavoured premade burgers from stores :)

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us