Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Owning Your Dream Home

Last post Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:36 AM by grame. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 10:12 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Owning Your Dream Home

Dream homes are the stuff we imagine as the perfect places to live. These places can quickly turn into nightmares if we borrow too much, forget about utility bills or plan poorly.

Do you believe there is a way to frugally and soundly plan to own the house of dreams? Do you plan to own your dream home one day?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Apr 20 2011 10:19 AM In reply to

Re: Owning Your Dream Home

Brandy:
    Dream homes are the stuff we imagine as the perfect places to live.
    What we imagine would be the perfect place to live doesn't always turn out that way though. For instance, I thought that I would love to live in a two-story house. When we moved to Germany, we did have a two-story house, and I got tired of going up and down those stairs a zillion times a day.

I thought I would like to have 2 1/2 bathrooms. When we finally had a house with 2 1/2 bathrooms, that just meant more toilets to scrub. I thought I wanted a house at the end of a cul-de-sac, but that just meant the neigbhorhood kids congregated there to play and make noise at all ungodly hours.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that my house in Germany was the nicest, biggest house I ever lived in. It's just how the old saying goes, "The grass is always greener..."

That lesson taught me that I can make a house my "dream house" even if I don't think it's ideal at the time. Whenever I think about the flaws in my current home, I think back to the house in Germany. Even that house wasn't perfect, yet it was still homey and cozey. I can focus on making my current house a homey, cozy home where I make more fond memories.

(But I would love a house on a level lot, a bigger kitchen, more natural sunlight, bigger bathrooms, etc. In the meantime, I need to be content with what the Lord has given me. Then, if I ever do get the "house of my dreams," it will be even more sublime.)

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Wed, Apr 20 2011 10:21 AM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 23 2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

This is just my opinion but I think the quickest way to have your dream home turn into a nightmare is to buy more than you can afford. We've made so many financial mistakes throughout our marriage but the one thing we did right was to purchase a home well below our means in a nice neighborhood. In the beginning it was meant to be a starter type home that we would move up from but over the years we've added on, updated and upgraded, etc. and now it's home and we have no desire to move. The only thing I'd like to add is a pool however that's not an issue with my home, its more an issue with my DH. He doesn't want the maintenance of a pool and right now there's a batting cage in the only spot a pool would fit. 

• Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:36 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Lee:
    The only thing I'd like to add is a pool however that's not an issue with my home,

My DH just tells me to go jump in the lake.  Yikes!  I've seen snapping turtles in there!

Seriously though, the dream house I wanted when I was young (yes, there truly was a white picket fence) is far different than my dream house now.  After the house and land was paid off, we started re-doing room by room, paying as we went.  about three years ago I began planning, saving and researching to turn a small galley kitchen/dining area/family room into what I wanted.  It was someone,s idea of a great room, but trust me, there was nothing great about it!

Not done yet, so I don't have a final tally, but everything has been done to facilitate our current lifestyle and future aging issues.  Did you know there are cabinets pulls that should not be used if you are older.  i didn't either.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us