Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

I have moths

Last post 04-26-2011 9:55 PM by seaturtle. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2011 1:47 PM

I have moths

Hello, every good person here,

There are brown moths in my apartment. Maybe 1/4' long. I am finding a few in every room, and when I went into the closet, 2 flew out. I can usually catch them mid-air, but obviously they are breeding in the house.

I ddon't want mothballs, and I also don't kw where they're coming from. Any suggestions, please? My cats love to chase them, but I don't.

• 04-17-2011 2:00 PM In reply to

Re: I have moths

They maybe pantry moths, Check the dry food also cat food for stringy webs stuff or moths in the containers. If pantry moths, the hardware stores sell traps for them. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 04-18-2011 5:56 AM In reply to

I know cedar is good for repelling moths.  I buy cedar balls or disks yearly at WM to put in our Christmas stuff since it is stored in the garage.  I also put them in the "too big" bin of DD's future clothes so I don't have to worry about them getting eaten.  However, I heard it's cheaper to buy a block of cedar from the hardware store or lumber yard and then cut it into thin strips as needed.  Drill a hole in the top and you can run some twine or string through the hole to hang it up in your closet and whatnot.  I understand that you should not cut the cedar until you are ready to use.  This way the block of cedar is cheaper than buying the balls and disks from the store.

My mom had pantry moths.  She ended up getting rid of quite a bit of food to get the infestation under control.

Here's an article if you want to read up on other moth deterrants.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 04-18-2011 11:10 AM In reply to

yep they are a pain. you need to check your food for cocoons and hatched leftovers.  we get that problem from bird food that has it.  they cocoon in corners etc too.  last time I discovered little larve babies in the little snack boxes of raisins in our snack bowl and cocoons in the folds of the wrapped products like granola bars.  bird food was near there (though packaged)   so dh got a hanging repellent thing from home depot on recommendation  from our friends with birds.  says not to have it inside they have done it for years and ours is hanging in the kitchen for over a year and no moths!  of course I keep an eye out on the bird food and I am still picky on where I get it. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 04-18-2011 9:51 PM In reply to

Thanks, all. I haven't had time to go through the cupboards yet, but my suspicion is the bags of stale crackers and bars and chips I bought as bird food from the Used Foods Store.

• 04-22-2011 9:18 PM In reply to

Got them! I took the oldcracker and cookie and nut bags outside, and no more moths.

• 04-26-2011 5:30 PM In reply to

Hurray!!!! So glad you got your moth problem taken care of!! We had that problem last year, I bought a huge bag of bird seed, set it in the kitchen and then we went away for 5 days. Came back to find moths everywhere. I didn't know about pantry moths, so we just put the bag of seed outside and killed the moths that we could see. The next week I discovered them in the pantry and we had to get rid of TONS of stuff. To this day we put dry goods in ziplok bags for the most part.
    SAHM to 2 toddlers and 2 cats! Happily married to my soul mate! How could life get any better!?!
  • 04-26-2011 9:55 PM In reply to

I went through the cupboards and didn't find any at all. Everything in there is sealed or canned. I did open some pasta boxes to check, but nothing. I took them all out and sealed them in plastic, put them in the freezer. I've seen just a couple today.

A year agao, I had a bag of bird seed here, too. I remember opening it and finding an infestation of bugs. Yuck.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us