Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Extreme Couponing

Last post Mon, Jun 20 2011 6:59 PM by jayashiangel. 55 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (56 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 14 2011 9:18 AM

Extreme Couponing

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-112514-9255-1-confessions-of-an-extreme-couponer?ywaad=ad0035&nc

I just read this article about an "extreme couponer." I think it's great that she saves so much money, but I can't help thinking that her buying habits make it look like she's hoarding. What do you think? The article's first paragraph states:

"J'aime Kirlew, 34, cut nearly $14,000 off her grocery bill last year by clipping coupons. That's not always as easy or practical as it sounds. It means finding room at her home in Montgomery Village, Maryland to stockpile over 100 cleaning wipes, 200 soaps, 70 bottles of laundry detergent, 60 boxes of cereal, 450 rolls of toilet paper and 250 paper towels."

That's great that she's got so many items in reserve. But really, do you need that much? Are you really saving money if you're buying things you don't need? (My bottle of laundry soap has lasted me three months so far. At that rate, 70 bottles of laundry detergent would last me 17 years!)

To her credit, she says that she gives a lot of items away. It's great that she shares with others, Kudos to her!

The article also mentions that her biggest savings was when she paid $103 for a $1,900 grocery bill. I'd like to know the specifics of what she bought. Because I've never seen a coupon for fresh fruits or veggies!

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Apr 14 2011 9:55 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: Extreme Couponing

she must be on that new show extreme couponing.  some people are normal extreme couponers but lots seem to be hoarders because they don't give it away. now I would be couponing more if it worked for me up here but not to that extreme.  most stuff seems that it would be expired beyond use ..one guy had like 1500 antipersents. didn't spell that right lol.

70 bottles of laundry soap would probably last me a year and half to 2yrs.    it seems from the show with the women, their dh lost their job, they are at home with kids so was a need and something they could control (their words) so it is a bit of a control issue.  one women bought like 57 bottles of mustard or more and her husband was with her shopping..and saying do we need to get all these bottles since I don't eat mustard because there wasn't enough on the shelf for her coupons.

just read the article..same mustard lady!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Thu, Apr 14 2011 10:01 AM In reply to

I definitely don't need 70 bottles of detergent, and would have no where to put them if I did have them.  The only way I would do anything near this extreme would be to give the stuff away.  I don't like clutter, and to me all that stuff is clutter.  For a very large family I can see buying multiples of things, but not 70.  I try to use coupons when I can, but for the most part there aren't coupons for the things I buy.  Every once in a while there are coupons for yeast, flour, sugar, etc., and I do use coupons for toothpaste or dog food when I find them.  I think I just wouldn't have the patience to do something like this, but if it works for her that's great.

• Thu, Apr 14 2011 10:22 AM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 23 2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

She was on the TLC show and in my opinion they all seem like hoarders. They all say it takes at least an hour for them to check out. I sure would hate to get behind them in the check out line. One couple had to call 5 friends to come stand in line with them because there were limits on items purchased and coupons redeemed. 

Stacie, you're correct, from the episodes I've seen there wasn't a whole lot of produce being purchased. Now that I think about it I actually can't recall any...what I do remember is one woman buying 50 bottles of mustard, another guy purchasing 100's of tubes of toothpaste and two sisters clearing the shelves of dental floss. There was one woman that actually had a 30 day meal plan that she shopped around but she still purchased a lot of processed items with the coupons. 

I see their savings at the checkout counter but my question is how much do they spend in time and money to accumulate all those coupons? I just can't imagine spending 16 hours a week hunting for coupons, which is what the toothpaste guy says he does. 

• Thu, Apr 14 2011 10:27 AM In reply to

Someone posted on another board about how one of these extreme couponers was doing something that wasn't quite on the up and up and now they are changing bar codes and procedures making it difficult on those of us who don't use tactics that cause expense to others.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Thu, Apr 14 2011 10:28 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I've seen the show.  To me this is hoarding.  OK, so the example given was of the individual who spent $103 for a $1900 grocery bill.  If everything goes bad before you use it, then all they did was waste $103. Then you have the hidden costs. 

Most food coupons I come across are for overprocessed items that will, over time, result in health issues which in turn cause higher medical costs.  When you look at the items on the shelves of these extreme couponers, its a heart attack or type II diabetes waiting to happen. I love my family too much to jeapordize their future health.

On these shows they always give us a tour of how the items are stored.  By the time you heat, cool, and dehumidify or humidify depending on the climate, what was the additional costs of utilities?

I do have one item I buy and store for at least 18 months before using.  For those who still prefer bar soap over body washes did you know that the longer it is stored, it will last longer when finally put to use?  Sounds strange but it works.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Thu, Apr 14 2011 12:59 PM In reply to

I have to agree - I buy mostly fresh foods that coupons don't exist for, and the quantities sound like hoarding to me.  I wouldn't do it.
  • Thu, Apr 14 2011 3:06 PM In reply to

I find it a little ironic that this show airs just before Hoarding: Buried Alive. Hmm

Yes, I do admire the ones who donate so much of their freebies or near-freebies to those in need. But the overall tone of this show, the gleeful greediness, is disturbing.

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Thu, Apr 14 2011 3:49 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

slk2042:
    cut nearly $14,000 off her grocery bill last year by clipping coupons.

I don't spend that much in groceries to cut and I don't use coupons.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Apr 14 2011 4:19 PM In reply to

Brandy:

I don't spend that much in groceries to cut and I don't use coupons.

The article doesn't say how many people are in her family, but it does mention that she has kids. I'm assuming at least two? I also wonder what she includes in her grocery budget--does she count toiletries, household cleaners, etc? Even so, that is quite a bit of money for my family. I thought our grocery bill was outrageous, but now it seems I really shouldn't complain! Smile

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 6 (56 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us