Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Bridal Shower Gift woes...

Last post Fri, May 27 2011 1:08 AM by paulsmith. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:03 PM

• SAHMof4
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 3 2011
    • Ontario
    • Posts 27

Bridal Shower Gift woes...

I have a bridal shower to go to this weekend... It's for my niece. I really wanted to give something "personal" so declined going in on the group gift. I made a set of Christmas placemats, cloth napkins, & coasters, which took me hours of work & the cost of the materials. Here's a pic of what I made... http://halfdozendaily.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/20110411-090225.jpg Im also going to add in a nice set of napkin rings. This morning my husband says to me, "Are we getting her a gift too, or just that?" Ugh! :( Now I feel horrible for "just" making her a gift and I don't know if I should just throw $$$ at the joint gift and be done with it or what?! Any opinions?
  • Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:09 PM In reply to

Re: Bridal Shower Gift woes...

That is some beautiful work Sahmof4! 

My opinion - I wouldn't necessarily "throw money" at the joint gift but maybe look at the register and see if there is something inexpensive you can give along with the placemats.  If it were closer to Christmas I would suggest some ornaments or something else Christmas related. 

Susan in MI

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:13 PM In reply to

I agree, that is beautiful, SAHMof4!

Personally, I think what you've made is perfect. No need to add anything store-bought. Maybe you could add a note such as "Handmade with love from Auntie" or something similar, so she knows you put a lot of time and love into making them for her.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:50 PM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 23 2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

Do you have any favorite family recipes that you could include? I've done that with all my family weddings and they really seemed to be appreciated by a new bride.
  • Mon, Apr 11 2011 5:16 PM In reply to

First thing to remember--he's a MAN!  He has no idea what handmade means to someone.  I'm sure your niece will love it.  It is beautiful and more than adequate.  If you feel you "must" add to it, print some Christmas cookie recipes on themed recipe cards.  Or include recipes for family Christmas favorites.  Or buy her a store bought impersonal gift that anyone else could go buy her  and send those gorgeous things to ME!!!!

re-tired

• Mon, Apr 11 2011 5:24 PM In reply to

Those are gorgeous!  What a lovely personal gift.  No need to add a store bought item unless you truly wish to.  I think the idea about putting in a family recipe or two would be wonderful.

• Mon, Apr 11 2011 6:21 PM In reply to

Wow ... that's beautiful work!   Don't feel horrible .. there's no need. Tell your husband, "This is the gift!"   I do like the idea of including some family Christmas recipes.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Mon, Apr 11 2011 8:45 PM In reply to

1. I want them.  Seriously.

2. They're perfect as is; I love the ideas of a note that says, "Handmade with love" and the inclusion of some favorite family holiday menu items.

3. I'm sure your DH is a great guy, but you made me appreciate mine just a bit more tonight.  I agree with whoever said that your DH probably just didn't realize the effort you put into those.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Mon, Apr 11 2011 9:54 PM In reply to

• SAHMof4
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 3 2011
    • Ontario
    • Posts 27

Thanks SO much everyone! I bought some nice black napkin rings tonight & it finishes off the gift! :) I'll make a card to go with it, throw in a few recipes, and be happy that it's "from the heart". I've only been sewing for about a month, and taught myself, so I'm quite proud that they turned out so well! Thanks again!
  • Mon, Apr 11 2011 11:17 PM In reply to

What a lovely gift! Makes me sad that gifts are expected to be of a certain kind and bought instead of made. Seems sometimes as if thre is a stigma attached to not spending a lot on them.

I would be so pleased to get what you made!

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us