Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Would government shutdown affect SSI and food stamps?

Last post Mon, Apr 11 2011 11:32 PM by sissy. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 7 2011 1:06 AM

Would government shutdown affect SSI and food stamps?

It looks as though the government may shut down. Does anyone know if I will lose my SSI and food stamp payments if it does?

• Thu, Apr 7 2011 7:10 AM In reply to

Re: Would government shutdown affect SSI and food stamps?

What I heard on the news is that those would continue.  What I was listening to said they were going to shut down non-essential elements such as parks and museums (I realise those who depend on those feel they are essential but you know what I mean).  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Thu, Apr 7 2011 1:09 PM In reply to

Not if you're already on assistance. It would only affect those who are trying to get assistance initially.

"All you really need is one special monkey." -- C. J. Booher
  • Thu, Apr 7 2011 1:17 PM In reply to

I also heard it would slow down tax refunds.

• Thu, Apr 7 2011 1:25 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I deal with Social Security & state programs all the time.  Here is what we have learned.  For individuals already receiving SSA & SSI, there will be no changes.  For food stamps & medicaid which are administered by the states, they recieve their funding in periodic lump sums.  Those programs have already recieved enough to get them to July.  No one is saying what happens after that.  I've been in the social services field for a long time & this ain't my first rodeo.  I've seen this threat countless times, typically used to get everyone in an uproar so you start calling your politicians.  It is scary, but keep the faith.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Fri, Apr 8 2011 2:32 AM In reply to

I am a military spouse whose husband is deployed to Afghanistan currently and we, military  are being told that we may get either no pay or half a paycheck if the government shutdown happens. This is so stressful! I have a stockpile, plenty of clothes for everyone as well as sewing materials. I can always cut off the cable and internet, hang clothes outside, etc. In short I'm frugal but can certainly tighten my belt further. I just worry how long it will last. We have rent, gas for one car just for errands, cell phones, utilities, etc. I am so praying that the government shutdown doesn't happen.

• Fri, Apr 8 2011 7:09 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Tinamarie:
    I am so praying that the government shutdown doesn't happen.

As am I. I have family this will effect and so many others in the country as well. 

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Apr 8 2011 12:05 PM In reply to

I heard a snippet on the new yesterday that one thing that WOULD NOT be cut is the salaries of the Senate and the House.  Personally I think if those were going to be affected things would go much swifter toward a resolution!

re-tired 

• Fri, Apr 8 2011 9:34 PM In reply to

To my mind, what's happening to us is immoral. I found out that the cuts will indeed affect my Mediciad. In 2012, they are wanting to privatize the entilement programs. That it should be happening even to our military is more than shameful.

If this is polically biased, Brandy, please delete. But it's not really political - it is the quality of our lives, out of our control. Shutdown will apparently happen tonight at 12. I am truly frightened.

• Fri, Apr 8 2011 9:37 PM In reply to

re-tired:

Grrrr, how dare they?

I heard a snippet on the new yesterday that one thing that WOULD NOT be cut is the salaries of the Senate and the House.  Personally I think if those were going to be affected things would go much swifter toward a resolution!

re-tired 

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us