Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Pork Roasts

Last post 04-09-2011 5:40 PM by LWolfT. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-06-2011 7:39 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Pork Roasts

Pork roasts are still a good deal for some. Pork can also be a stretchy food that farthers the use and lowers food cost. 

What are your favorite meals using pork roast?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 04-06-2011 8:18 AM In reply to

• allie
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 11-12-2008
    • Virginia
    • Posts 810

Re: Pork Roasts

We use a smoker to cook boston butts low and slow.  Then we eat as pulled pork on sandwiches, in fajita style dishes with peppers, onions, and tomatoes, mixed with sauce and used as a topping for baked potatoes, etc.  I can't think of all the ways I have used them.

I sometimes cook pork roasts (butts, picnics, etc) in the oven or slow cooker.  I season with slat and pepper.  The first meal, we eat it plain with side dishes like mac and cheese, baked potatoes, green beans, salad, etc.  Then I will make it fajita style, shred and add sauce for sandwiches or potato topping, etc.

• 04-06-2011 12:19 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

The key is to cook it slow.  I generally p[ck up small ones so I haven't had left-overs.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 04-06-2011 2:08 PM In reply to

When I have leftover pork roast, I sometimes shred it and sautee it with lots of Mexican spices to serve as tostadas.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • 04-06-2011 2:50 PM In reply to

I like to eat pork roast as a roast with mashed potatoes, gravy and saur kr**t. We also cook it long and slow and shred for BBQ pork sandwiches, fajitas or pork tacos. If there is a small amount left over, I also add to baked beans.

I've had good success with pork roasts and like to have a few in the freezer. Leftovers are even better!

Erika
  • 04-06-2011 3:58 PM In reply to

Pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes....mmm. Sounds tasty right about now. Smile

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 04-06-2011 4:05 PM In reply to

I like having it as a roast with roast spuds, veggies and gravy.  Then I'll have it with  mashed spuds and cabbage.  As a meat in a sandwich with Branston Pickle- a UK thing.  Then if still any left I will have it steamed in Chicken bouillon and served with french fries and baked beans.  Lots of way really.  Never had it in pulled pork or BBQ sauce though.  Sally
  • 04-06-2011 8:15 PM In reply to

yum did eat pork roast before I turned jewish but no more I do cheat on one its turkey ham when Im over at moms she has a side dish for me that I don't have to touch the roast but did I miss it at first uhhh yes I did missed that one alot.

Mom makes it or cindy does but they are changing stores over for the meat only goin to the butcher is better for them I go to the deli but when cindy hits the butcher poor butcher she does not give a bad time she wants to know the unit price the weight and the price perpound and she inspects it if its to much fat the butcher puts it back and gets another if thats it no  more sweating it out for him mom does that.

chrissanne
  • 04-09-2011 3:12 AM In reply to

I recently slow cooked a 5-6lber picnic roast with a little olive oil on the bottom of the crock, fresh chopped apples and onions, herbs/garlic salt rubbed on the roast and some chicken broth. I was able to use the leftover juice after with some gravy mix to use with potatoes. It was very nice.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 04-09-2011 7:03 AM In reply to

When I'm feeding a large group, I will take a family sized pork roast and cook it in my electric turkey roaster with about 3-4 pounds of beans until it all turns to mush.  I add Mexican spices.  It is served nacho style on top of chips with all the salad, cheese, salsa etc...

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us