Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Moving Almost Cross-Country on a Budget

Last post 05-14-2011 2:25 PM by Teatrpusk. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-05-2011 12:06 PM

Moving Almost Cross-Country on a Budget

Hi All,

I have searched the archives of posts on great moving tips and tricks but realized I am in a unique situation.  I'm single, 50 years old, no kids and am contemplating a move from Minnesota to Southern California.  I know the cost of living is higher there and I'm planning for it.  What I need to know if there's any really great deals for renting movers or trucks that I don't know of.  I've moved around enough locally that I'm good at getting rid of unwanted stuff first, pretty good at organized packing, but the cheapest price I could find for renting a moving truck and a trailer for my car is around $2000.  Based on that chunk of change, I definitely know I couldn't actually hire movers - that will be too prohibitive.  Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.

• 04-05-2011 12:50 PM In reply to

Re: Moving Almost Cross-Country on a Budget

It was several years ago when our family moved ourselves (as opposed to having the military do it for us), but I seem to remember that my DH put the local U-Haul, Budget Rentals, etc. in a pricing war with each other. They had a "meat or beat" pricing policy, so my DH used that to our advantage, Eventually the price got so low that the companies couldn't go lower, but they threw in freebies such as a moving dolly for free use, furniture padding, towing trailer for our car, etc.

You might see if similar "meat or beat" programs are available in your area. It can definitely be used to your advantage.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • 04-05-2011 6:07 PM In reply to

We just last week moved my mom from Arkansas to Northern Cali. We mailed most of her possessions parcel post (this meant no furniture). We flew to pick her up and flew her back out here with us. Not a very thrifty way to do it, I can tell you.... but mailing some of your boxes might help wth the cost of a UHaul? Just an idea.
    SAHM to 2 toddlers and 2 cats! Happily married to my soul mate! How could life get any better!?!
  • 04-05-2011 9:27 PM In reply to

Depending on the time of year you are moving, the rates will vary. Summer time is more expensive, you will get a better deal in Winter.

Try calling around and get quotes from moving companies, it may be comparible to the rental truck. You can also look into UPack or PODs, a portable storage container that you would load yourself and they can deliver to directly to your home?

If you are looking just for help to load your truck or storage container Elite Moving Labor or Moving Staffers has nationwide Professional Labor that can assist.

Good Luck on your move and enjoy Sunny Southern California!

JP Mommy

www.steadfastlaborpros,com 

• 04-05-2011 11:46 PM In reply to

I've had good luck shipping things too.  If you pack books separately, they can go "media rate" even though the post office rarely mentions that.  It's the new "book rate".  For my last move, I got by with the smallest moving truck.  I drove the car out (I started a job) then flew back on a round trip ticket (cheaper than one way), and drove the small truck of stuff 1500 miles in 4 days.   Driving out first got the necessities there and allowed me to rent a place to send/bring my stuff too.

good luck with the move.

• 04-05-2011 11:53 PM In reply to

u hauls run deals and maybe if you have triple A insurance maybe they cut you a break ,look I know cross country moving very well to well Im a airforce brat my father was military so I got to tell you hotels are expensive do some reasreach before the run and get rid of stuff that is not needed to lighten the load and I got to tell you Now a days keep your gurad up at all times when moving like this keep your head clear and last tip thing go for motel alittle cheaper then hotels like I said do reasearch and use triple A and if you are looking for jobs in southern california its a tight market I go to southern cal. every year and on the way to az. we do gem shows there to sell jewelery and other stuff of what people like thats on the market my parents and I do travel heavey long haul and we do have tripple A so I do know somewhat I am talking about and I am saying one thing GOOD LUCK=)-

• 04-06-2011 1:35 PM In reply to

If you can afford it, buy a cheap cube truck, take it across country, wash it, paint it, detail it, and sell it for more than you paid.  The bidding war is another great idea. Car dollies aren't all that expensive to buy and they always sell fast, or you can loan it out for money.  One of my cousins has one and shadetree mechanics are constantly borrowing it for cheap parts or project cars. Could be a way to get in good with local auto repairmen.

• 04-06-2011 10:03 PM In reply to

Yeah you tell them pitcher...=)

• 04-12-2011 1:52 PM In reply to

Is your stuff worth as much as it would cost to move?  If not, sell it all and just take stuff in your car and use the money you would have spent to replace things when you move.  There are garage sales all the time and people wanting to get rid of things.  You could replace them rather inexpensively if you wanted to.  

• 04-13-2011 2:41 PM In reply to

Moving from the the middle of the country to the west is always more expensive than the reverse.  The rental trucks don't come back to the midwest as often as the the trucks go west.  You don't necessarily need movers to move you, you can hire a truck and car trailer and drive the truck yourself.  At each end you can hire day labors to load and unload your truck.  One area I would like to suggest is to see if you can fill a couple of pods storage units and have those moved with a national mover it may or may not save you money.  Also your moving costs are deductible on your yearly us tax return.  Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us