Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How to help someone who lost their home to foreclosure.

Last post 04-04-2011 12:49 PM by budgetwise. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-27-2011 9:27 AM

How to help someone who lost their home to foreclosure.

I would like suggestions as how to help a lady in our community that just lost her home to foreclosure. At this point she has lost everything she had a little Jack Russell dog has had to rehome because she moved to home in a basement apt.and they wouldn't let her take her dog a home was found for him and the other day the door was opened when the lady in his new home came home from work and he bolted out and got hit by a car and killed it was an accident as the lady had her hands full and he is so fast. This lady as had so much happen to her lately we all want to do something to help her get her life back to normal. At this moment she doesn't have a kitchen in the apt. I was thinking of doing a basket with a box of gain,dryer sheets,soap,dish detergent for later and addding some towels and bath cloths and suggestions any of you can offer we will be very thankful for. TIA

• 03-27-2011 10:41 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Re: How to help someone who lost their home to foreclosure.

I would give her flowers and a gift card to a local resturant . just be a friend that what she really needs

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 03-27-2011 9:05 PM In reply to

A hot plate and/or toaster oven, or a small microwave might help with her "kitchen".  I've seen these set up on TV trays.  A four-cup coffee pot with some good coffee and maybe some herb tea or chai samplers could cheer her up.  Only time, though, will heal her grief over the lost home and four-legged friend. I'm partial to bawdy greeting cards in rough situations, but these are definitely not for everyone. 

• 03-27-2011 10:04 PM In reply to

I agree with the small micro and toaster oven. Does she have adequate untensils and cooking vessels? Gift certificate to a local supermarket and/or WalMart type store where she could purchase things she needed. If she does not drive, perhaps you could arrange for a number of people to take her shopping or medical appoinmements. A daily call just to check on her, too, as she must feel terribly alone.

I think, too, that inviting her over to your house for dinner or out to dinner, even over for tea, and letting her talk and share her grief over both these losses would be a wonderful thing. Does she have a faith community? Possible help and companionship and transportation from he Sernior Center? If she can find something to participate in with others, great, too.

The more people who can be there for her (and consistently, not just one gift or call) will help her through this most difficult time.

• 04-03-2011 6:06 PM In reply to

Hi,

I think a microwave or toaster oven, toaster, a hotplate and a pot and strainer, a electric kettle that heats water, disposable plates, silverware, and cups, instant coffee, tea, powdered creamer.  A few small appliances can be sat on a table or stand.  If you cannot afford all of this, maybe check on your local Freecycle site (where you can request items or reply to offers): just type Freecycle in google search, and the main page comes up with a box where you enter your zip code to find local groups.  For food, things that can be heated in above appliances that do not have to be refridgerated if there is no fridge (canned soup, canned pasta in sauce, canned tuna and chicken, canned veggies, instant oatmeal, etc - make sure she has a can opener, ramen noodle packs.  Fruit doesn't have to be refridgerated, and is nutritious.  Packs of snack crackers, bread and peanut butter, etc.  could be put into a gift basket.  Maybe take her cooked dinners, or invite her for dinner.Above all, I think spending time with her would be great, since she probably feels all alone.  I also think the basket you mentionwould be great.

• 04-03-2011 7:27 PM In reply to

Linda Cecil:
    At this moment she doesn't have a kitchen in the apt. I was thinking of doing a basket with a box of gain,dryer sheets,soap,dish detergent for later and addding some towels and bath cloths and suggestions any of you can offer we will be very thankful for.

Even tho she just lost her home to foreclosure, I think I would "frame" this as a "housewarming" gift, or even a "housewarming party", if multiple people are involved.  I think it is important to "face forward" so to speak, to help her move on.  After all, even if the apt wouldn't let her keep her dog, it is still her "new home". 

It would be good if the person closest to her could invite her to lunch, then indicate that a few of you would like to throw a little housewarming party for her - - but you weren't sure what all she was able to bring with her, & what she might like.  If she was able to bring all her kitchen linens, etc from the house, then she doesn't need those - something like the hotplate or coffee maker suggestions might work better.

Things like a fruit basket (full of fruit, which as someone else already pointed out, does not need refridgerated) might be nice, but if she is struggling to find space for the things she brought with her, more "stuff" might be difficult.  Maybe just a nice meal (brought by one of you) & friends to share it?

• 04-03-2011 7:59 PM In reply to

ewoh ouch there home foreclosed I would just sudjest be her friend and a thing of flowers...

• 04-03-2011 9:54 PM In reply to

It is a very good idea to find out what she was able to bring with her, as to not overwhelm her with items that she has no room for. I also really like the 'housewarming' idea. That said, one thing that is good for people without a formal kitchen is to take a note from college dorm living.

A rice cooker is a great item to make one pot dishes in, from soup to rice dinners like red beans & rice, jambalaya, rice-a-roni with added chicken, old fashion chicken and rice made with canned chicken, chicken stock, and rice. You can also steam vegetables, fish, chicken, etc.

Small ones go on sale regularly at stores like Walgreens and CVS. They may also be able to be picked up at Thrift Stores. A box with cooker, some items to make a dish or two and a rice cooker cookbook would make a nice gift.

On another tact, a basket of pampering items like bath gels, salts, louffa or bath puff, candles and a good book might also be comforting and appreciated.

• 04-03-2011 11:31 PM In reply to

If you don't want to straight out ask her what stuff she has/needs, maybe (and someone may have already suggested this) have a housewarming shower and give her some gift cards to places like walmart so she can pick out her own small appliances.  Then also include a personal pampering gift.  It's wonderful to get practical stuff that she can use, but a little something to make her feel special may be uplifting too.  And maybe include her in some luncheons/outings with the girls.  So sad about her situation and loss of her dog.  

• 04-03-2011 11:50 PM In reply to

Guess just be a friend to her she may need it more then ever and if there is anything she needs you say if there anything you need holler for me...

Losing a home I wouldn't know but all I know its a tear jerker and a person who is feeling ashamed or emotional just be there thats all I know.

chrissanne
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us