Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Who's doing CSA this year?

Last post Tue, Jun 21 2011 12:32 PM by Maggie Trudeau. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (26 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 23 2011 5:50 PM

• Peanut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 17 2011
    • Suburbs of Boston, MA
    • Posts 141

Who's doing CSA this year?

Just curious.  (OK,call it *nosey*.)  We're fortunate to have a LOT of farms nearby that run them.  This year we're going with all seasons at the same farm ("Farmer Dave's") - the "Spring Greens" session just started yesterday so we're all in fresh-food heaven today!!  They run this one for 13 weeks, then go to the standard "Summer", a 20-weeker.  And we're doing their 13-week Fruit share which starts in August.  There's a fall/winter but I haven't decided if we'll do that...probably yes but I'll wait a bit before ordering.

The spring greens we got this week were all grown indoors - baby arugula, baby bok choy, a baby brassica mix and a *big* bunch of cilantro.  Usually I HATE cilantro but this is so fresh that it hasn't developed that really soapy taste...yet.  I read somewhere that if it gets soapy, crushing the leaves for pesto lets the enzymes break down the soapy-stuff.  It's worth a shot....

Babbling regularly at PeanutsAlmanac.Blogspot.com
  • Wed, Mar 23 2011 5:57 PM In reply to

Re: Who's doing CSA this year?

Certified organic farm right in my town started a CSA this year, from 6/24-11/4. Looking forward to it, in addition to my large garden

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 6:33 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

HI Peanut, I am over in Southern Vermont. We only have summer/fall CSA's here. I dont do them because we raise a huge gardne ourselves and have fruit trees, berries. Nice to have someone else from New England on DS, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Thu, Mar 24 2011 9:53 AM In reply to

• Peanut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Suburbs of Boston, MA
    • Posts 141

CTMOMto4:

Certified organic farm right in my town started a CSA this year, from 6/24-11/4. Looking forward to it, in addition to my large garden

Nice!  I'll try to hide my garden envy, LOL!  Do you think you'll be putting up any of the CSA veggies, or just the garden produce?  The CSA we chose offers 3 different size shares - I went with the "middle" size.  They said the large was for people who wanted to freeze/can in addition to eating fresh...only we're moving mid-summer and the thought of trying to move while canning/freezing weekly just seemed like too much for this year!

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 9:58 AM In reply to

• Peanut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Suburbs of Boston, MA
    • Posts 141

babs:

HI Peanut, I am over in Southern Vermont. We only have summer/fall CSA's here. I dont do them because we raise a huge gardne ourselves and have fruit trees, berries. Nice to have someone else from New England on DS, Babs

Hi Babs!  Oooh - more garden envy!  :)  We're in military housing so there's barely room for even a tomato plant on the step...I'm hoping that next season we'll have a small garden area to start.  I grew up with a big garden & miss it very much!!   I hope the spring is starting out your way - things are pretty much melted here & the lake has already had ice-out!

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:13 AM In reply to

I am not, my child support went up, so my food stamps went down, which is all good, but I won't have as much in the budget for food this summer. My CSA the last two years took food stamps. Babs, even though we all have black thumbs, we are again attenpting gardening.  Last year had beautiful tomato plants in ten large pots on the patio, they grew into a jungle, way over the cages and all over the patio, but only got about ten tomatoes out of them.  This year my daughter is going to put in a raised bed, as my house is built on a creek bed and the ground is so sandy/clay-y.  I bought a teepee and hope to have a green bean teepee.  We have two trays of plants in the window seat started, tomatoes, basil, flowers.  I hope to go to the farmer's market quite a bit, and also hope to buy the basil and tomatoes from our CSA farm, if they let us. 

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:24 AM In reply to

No CSA.  However, I just learned that the neighborhood I work in is going to be part of a pilot program and once a week a produce BUS will be in selling local-grown, organic fruits & veggies at wholesale prices.  I intend on using that service once I'm not in class on Thursdays.  Oh, and it will be year-round!
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:42 AM In reply to

Peanut, I plan to can/freeze both surplus from our own garden as well as the CSA. BOth are organic.

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:54 AM In reply to

Year round CSA here. 

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Thu, Mar 24 2011 7:05 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Tracy, your dirt may have been to rich for the tomatoes so you got lots of green and no fruit. Did you buy bagged soil? If yes dont add a lot of new to the pots. Should grow more tomatoes. The other thing, were there bees to polinate if they were heirlooms, I would use hybrids. May get you more tomatoes. Also read how long a growing season. some tomatoes need a longer season to get fruit. Hope some of this makes sense. lol Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 3 (26 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us