Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

What do you think needs to be in an emergency stock?

Last post Tue, Mar 29 2011 12:04 AM by OhioDonna. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 17 2011 11:05 PM

What do you think needs to be in an emergency stock?

I am going to buy:

• Water (not sure how much, but will start with 3 cases of bottled
      Canned goods, spam, crackers, ???
      Flashlight ( I have the kind you wind and I want another one)
      Transister Radio
      Whistle

I cannot think of everything I might need to tie us over for a few days in case of a huge earthquake (knock wood)!

Please help me come up with a good plan so I can get my closet stocked!

Thanks! 

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Fri, Mar 18 2011 1:34 AM In reply to

Re: What do you think needs to be in an emergency stock?

More water

TP and personal hygiene items

Meds, prescription and OTC

Oil lamp and fuel, wicking

Clothing and blankets for warmth

Canned soups, peanut butter

• Fri, Mar 18 2011 6:31 AM In reply to

Solar oven -  this is next item on our list - we were lucky but some areas around us were with out fuel/power for about 2 weeks.

Baby wipes and hand sanitizer - same persons were without hot water/showers for that period of time 

If you have canned goods, have a hand held can opener.  If you are used to an electric, get one made for arthritic people - much easier to use.

Keep your emergency stock with the same kinds of foods you eat regularly.  You don't want to give yourself tummy issues by shocking your body with different foods.  It helps with fresh rotation too.  Keep some instant coffee or tea as you will not want withdrawl headaches to add to the event.

A stocked first aid kit -- even large bandages and elastic wraps that you don't normally use.

Disposable plates/cups/utensils - I don't think the dishwasher will be working

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Fri, Mar 18 2011 11:17 AM In reply to

2nd. I love the idea of an arthriic opener, awesome.

Such great ideas.  I am stocking up some stuff at the dollar store!

I am nervous about an earthquake here!!  SOON!

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Fri, Mar 18 2011 1:19 PM In reply to

Be sure to get food stuffs with an expiration date far into the future, and check them occasionally to rotate them out with your "regular" food.

If you are really relying on your emergency food for survival, I've found that protein keeps you fuller for longer than just carbs. I'd consider putting in a few cans of tuna, chicken, etc.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Fri, Mar 18 2011 11:09 PM In reply to

I will get water this week. I have perhaps 40 cans of tuna downstairs, even though I don't eat meat or fish. In an emergency, though, these would be ideal protein. Date on them is 20014.

I am also lucky enough to have quite a bit of nutritional supplements which, in a pinch, could sustain me for quite a while.

• Sun, Mar 27 2011 8:48 PM In reply to

• GlendaEMT
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 27 2011
    • Georgia
    • Posts 3

As a firefighters wife and a Emergency Management volunteer we do not recommend use of an oil lamp and fuel because of the possibility of the lamp getting knocked over and causing a fire. I would recommend however a good flashlight and extra batteries. As far as food if you use canned soups please be sure you buy the kind that doesn't need water added to it. Beef stew would also be a good canned item to have to eat. If you have peanut butter you could also have crackers to go with it. I would also recommend you buy plastic forks, knives, & spoons to eat with.

• Sun, Mar 27 2011 8:57 PM In reply to

At the radio shack you have one in california get a crank type solar radio also takes batteries ,coleman stove, cans to go for the coleman stove make sure you learn to operated it its totally easy ven your tween can cook off it you get those at wall mart or any sport store make sure sleeping bags if not then sew some blankets together to double it for warmth we don't know when earth quacks hit they can hit you at any time moutain saint helens gets earth quacks and so does mount raineer so in washington we are screwed too and make sure since you are a coffee lover get a coffee pot ment for the coleman yes coffee and yes it can be used for heatting water I had to teach my kid all this stuff but make sure tween knows first aid  you never know. Oh crap for got zip lock big ones and the little ones those are a girls best friend and foods best friend.

• Sun, Mar 27 2011 9:16 PM In reply to

LL Bean has a good combination crank and solar radio/flashlight/cell phone charger for somewhere around $35, and their shipping is free.  I'm partial to couscous or bulghur for starches, since they require little or no cooking.  Plenty of water, toilet paper, anti-bacterial soaps, and menstrual supplies, something many women forget.  Instant coffee and tea, to save fuel, multivitamins and calcium, nonfat dry milk if you can stand it, or canned or non-refrigerated soy milk.  Keep your mason jar shelves in your shelter, and you'll always have something to eat.  A first aid book is essential.  I'd advise military sleeping bags if you can afford them, since the usual camping model is no good under 40 degrees, even if doubled.  This may be a good place to store winter down jackets, since you can sleep in them.  

• Sun, Mar 27 2011 10:21 PM In reply to

Cold cereal that contains a lot of nourishment, like Total. You can eat it dry, with canned or dry milk, juice, or just water if you have to. Bags of peanuts or whatever you like in nuts, raisins, canned meat you can eat cold. Some sugary items, too - jams, candy, snack cakes, malted milk powder,cookies, for energy in a hurry. Whatever food you stock, be sure you get enough protein and carbs, fats, and try to make it calorie-dense.

A loud siren or other powerful signaler, in case you are trapped and need to guide people to you. Maybe some fllares, too. A fire extinguisher, two big ones if you can afford it. Waterproof clothing and boots, in addition to the warm clothing, something to make your sleeping bag waterproof, too. Affording all these is, of course, another question.

Have emergency phone numbers written down. And have a cell phone.

Whew!

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us