Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugal Landscaping

Last post Fri, Mar 25 2011 9:30 PM by babs. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 16 2011 2:11 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Frugal Landscaping

Landscaping can be one of those expensive things that we dollar stretchers avoid. Does it have to be costly to have a yard we can enjoy?

What are your frugal landscaping tips and what does your yard look like?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Mar 16 2011 2:44 PM In reply to

Re: Frugal Landscaping

1. Do your own work if possible. Don't hire out an expensive landscaping company.

2. Use manual tools rather than electric-powered tools. It will take longer to get the job done, but you'll save in gasoline and other energy. Hey, you'll get some exercise too!

3. Plant perennials rather than annuals. Perennials might cost more up front, but they'll last for many years. You'll only have to plant them once, rather than every year.

4. Plant seeds rather than store-bought plants. They take longer to bloom, but they are way cheaper than buying a plant from the nursery.

5. Plant heirlooms rather than hybrids. The seeds from heirloom varieties can be saved from year to year, so you don't have to buy more seeds each season.

6. Use hand tools to pull weeds rather than costly herbicides. Hey, you'll get your exercise AND save the environment!

7. Use rain water rather than city water if possible. Rain water is free!

8. If you must water your lawn, put in a timer for your sprinkler. If you don't want to purchase one, set your kitchen timer so that you'll remember to turn off your sprinkler.

9. Water in the early morning hours, when evaporation is at a minimum. Try to avoid watering late at night, because fungi can thrive.

10. Use drip hoses rather than sprinklers. You'll lose less water to evaporation.

11. Compost, compost, compost!!

12. Use your grey water to water your ornamental plants. (Do some research to decide what types of grey water are safe.)

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Wed, Mar 16 2011 2:50 PM In reply to

Oops. Forgot to mention what my yard looks like. It's a work in progress. I have a few flower beds in my front yard, with perennials and shrubs. We just chopped down a diseased tree, so there is a bare spot where grass seed is just now sprouting.

My backyard is a crazy mish-mash of just about everything. I've got a few potted plants that were cuttings of other plants. When they are looking pretty established, I'll put them in the ground.

The back half of my backyard is devoted to food. Vegetable garden, which I hope to expand as my little ones get older and I have more time. We just planted some blueberry bushes and a fig tree back there as well. We'd like to chop down a tree that is shading the garden too much, and I'd like to put in a strawberry bed where the tree currently is. We've got a few stumps where we chopped down some trees, and in the very back corner of my yard is a big compost bin. I need to get a three-bin system going, right now we just have one super-big old camper shell that is turned upside down to hold lawn clippings. The backyard is on a steep slope (house is at the bottom), and drainage is an ongoing problem. We've got a French drain that needs to be re-done. Other than that, the backyard is my dog's domain, and toddler toys are all over the place! People must think we run a daycare or something, LOL.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Mar 17 2011 1:32 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

slk2042:
    If you must water your lawn, put in a timer for your sprinkler

I don't want to think about watering yet with all the rain we have had.

• Thu, Mar 17 2011 3:04 PM In reply to

Mulch, mulch, mulch. When the electric company's trimmers are in our area, I get them to dump a couple of loads of shredded material for me. Free mulch is great. Our are is rich in rocks and cedar trees so my beds are edged in rocks and cedar logs. Plan for the winter garden's appearance and it will be beautiful the rest of the year. Join a local group such as Master Gardeners or a flower or herb club who do some public service work. You will find there an abundant source of free plants. Be sure to study what you want to plant to see whether it is a good candidate for your area.  AM

• Fri, Mar 25 2011 7:03 AM In reply to

I plant only things which will provide me with something useful, as well as being aesthetically pleasing. So my landcape includes fruiting trees, medicinal trees like camphor and willow, berry bushes, aloe plants, etc.

"All you really need is one special monkey." -- C. J. Booher
  • Fri, Mar 25 2011 8:28 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Swirlything:
    I plant only things which will provide me with something useful

As one who creates a pleasing place for birds and butterflies, I think ornamental flowers are useful as well. The birds and insects need them and I find those to be a relaxing joy.  Less stress for me means better health and less medical cost.

• Fri, Mar 25 2011 9:30 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Flowers attract the bees that are needed to polinate the veggies and fruit plants, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us