Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What is your favorite cookbook?

Last post Fri, Apr 13 2012 3:43 PM by mum2four. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 8 2011 3:45 AM

• LindaC
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 30 2009
    • Posts 570

What is your favorite cookbook?

I don't have an absolute favorite "go-to" cookbook yet, but of the ones I have, I especially like King Arthur Whole Grain Baking, Betty Crocker Whole Grains, and  BH&G Soups & Stews cookbooks.   I believe I've tried at least one recipe from each and have many earmarked to try.  I like them because of the whole grain aspect in the first two and the different soup recipes in the latter two. 

What's your favorite cookbook?   Or do you have just one favorite or many? 

• Tue, Mar 8 2011 2:12 PM In reply to

Re: What is your favorite cookbook?

Just sorted all my books and discovered I have over 50 cookbooks!  Yikes.  There are about 10 I use frequently.  My current "go to" book is "More With Less" the mennonite one from the 1970s. 

The Better Homes and Gardens one from the 1960s is another favorite as is a book on cooking with honey (no processed sugar) that I got in the recycle bin.

• Tue, Mar 8 2011 4:35 PM In reply to

• LindaC
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 30 2009
    • Posts 570

Maggie Trudeau:
      My current "go to" book is "More With Less" the mennonite one from the 1970s. 

I just found that book this morning on Amazon and put it on my list.  Going to see if it's in my library or if I can get it through interlibrary loan.

• Tue, Mar 8 2011 8:53 PM In reply to

Saving Dinner by Leanne Ely -- she taught me how to cook and she's been my go-to gal since I became a mom. 

Betty Crocker taught me how to bake starting when I was a kid.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Tue, Mar 8 2011 8:56 PM In reply to

Betty crocker and koshier cooking that was because my hubby now x  at the time and is jewish.

• Wed, Mar 9 2011 10:42 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I love my Betty Crockers and I like the more with Less ,  make you own groceries ... and my Aunts Ludie cooking journals .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Mar 9 2011 8:54 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I like my Foxfire cookbook. Recipes that my Grandma made. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Mar 9 2011 9:33 PM In reply to

The old Fannie Fannie Farmer's Cookbook. My mother had a copy which was already somewhat tattered. She had gotten in when she married. I also have a Pet Milk Cookbook from the 30's and a Betty Crocker kids' book from the 60's.

My grandmothers didn't use cookbooks for baking or cooking. They knew how to really make food.

• Fri, Mar 11 2011 4:29 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I have a few but my chatneline one is my go to one..has how to do everything in it. plus good recipes. my mom gave it to me over 20yrs ago.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Mar 21 2011 1:01 PM In reply to

I love cookbooks! Smile 

My most used is my Better Homes & Garden cookbook that I got as a wedding gift (and I have my mother's from the 1970s). I use those for general information on cuts of meat, types of grain, flour, beans, etc.  I rely a lot on recipes from Fix It and Forget It crockpot cookbook, and I find new family favorites in my several Taste of Home cookbooks for soups/grilling/desserts/pastas.

But my treasured ones are: my grandmother's recipe box, my mom's recipe box and my childhood church's cookbook.

My best friend made a compiled cookbook of "tried and true" family favories (she asked several friends/family/coworkers to submit recipes). It's about 50 pages and has a variety of great recipes. I have been trying several.

I have about 30 cookbooks, most of them gifts or passed down from my mom and grandma. I do love church and organization's cookbooks as you get the tried and true favorites that everyone uses in their homes. I find those at thrift stores and garage sales, often for under a $1.

Erika
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us