Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Healthy Snacks

Last post Thu, Mar 3 2011 7:04 AM by ArielDawn. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 2 2011 8:23 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Healthy Snacks

Snacks can help a body make it between meals especially for growing children and active people. It's not worth it to the body to pack in a lot of garbage though. What snacks do you buy or make that are frugal and healthy?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Mar 2 2011 3:42 PM In reply to

Re: Healthy Snacks

Most of the time it is fresh fruit

other times it is - dried fruit, dark chocolate chips, homemade Cracker Jacks (w/o peanuts), my non allergic love peanut butter on a spoon, local honey with a dash of cinnamon

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Wed, Mar 2 2011 3:57 PM In reply to

String cheese and crackers, pretzels, fruit (fresh or dried), homemade granola bars, yogurt (plain with a drizzle of honey on it).  A quick quesadilla, half sandwich, half a bagel or an english muffin pizza are good for DS between school and sports practice. 

Sometimes I make cookies or brownies which are not healthy but hit the spot!

• Wed, Mar 2 2011 9:41 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

my go to snacks...fruit, crackers/pretzels, string cheese, yogurt, granola bars, buns.   cookies or snacky things like fruit snacks sometimes too.

sometimes pb but its hard with school etc bans.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Mar 2 2011 11:20 PM In reply to

caromel popcorn,fruitt, some nuts the little pack that has cheese in it and small type cracks and a plastic stick to dig out the cheese and spread it on the cracker,carrots,celery and peanutbutter if no allergys deviled eggs salads or jello with fruit in it those little thing in afnw afternoon snack for kids just for me I think its called Im thinking doing that along with the meat pack and lunchables for the kids so good luck thats all I can think about I may have somemore later may be fruit and whipcream on it thats another one.

chrissanne
  • Thu, Mar 3 2011 5:42 AM In reply to

Fruit is the main go-to item, fresh mostly but sometimes dried. 

I do make sweet treats on the weekends sometimes (this weekend I made 2 things! ack!), but when I make things myself I reduce the sugar, replace oil with applesauce, use egg whites (like egg beaters) in place of eggs, reduce butter, etc.  I don't really like artificial sweeteners much, but I don't want the family feeling deprived so this way we can all have a treat that is not as bad as the regular treat.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Thu, Mar 3 2011 7:04 AM In reply to

• ArielDawn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 26 2008
    • Connecticut
    • Posts 560

We keep granola bars, cheese sticks and yogurt tubes on hand for on the go snacks.   My kids also like to snack on dry breakfast cereal and we've been making our own snack mix which consists of whatever we have - cereal, pretzels, raisins, yogurt covered raisins, choc chips, goldfish, mini marshmallows, etc.

A sit down snack at the table would be cut up apples, carrots with PB to dip, crackers with cream cheese or ants on a log.

Dawn
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us