Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How to keep feet from sweating in cotton socks

Last post Tue, Dec 18 2012 5:32 AM by BargainBinge. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 27 2011 11:47 AM

How to keep feet from sweating in cotton socks

I prefer cotton socks in summer.Is there a way to stop my feet from sweating in them in sneakers?

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:29 AM In reply to

Re: How to keep feet from sweating in cotton socks

I don't know that you can stop them from sweating, but I wear a couple pairs of thin socks because that helps my feet dry.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Mon, Feb 28 2011 5:46 AM In reply to

They actually make socks that are designed to wick away moisture and reduce foot odor.  DD has several pairs as she has the same problem I do -- our feet will be freezing cold but sweaty.  ?!?  Her's is worse though so when I saw those socks, I bought them.  Don't know the name or anything though.  Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Tue, Mar 1 2011 3:33 PM In reply to

You might try putting baby powder inside the socks to soak up the moisture.

Jill

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 4:06 PM In reply to

I use a mineral salt deoderant stick. It's about $6 here, but using it on both underarms and feet it lasts DH and I about a year, so we figure it's a bargain!

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Tue, Mar 1 2011 5:47 PM In reply to

I have a problem with sweaty feet, even if my feet are cold they sweat in cotton! I was told by a podiatrist that Smart Wool (that's the brand) socks are the best socks. Cotton holds moisture so when your feet sweat, the socks absorb it and keep it. Other socks (like smart wool or others) "wick" away the sweat and into the shoe.

I have 2 pair of smart wool socks and a pair of Nike socks with "wicking" technology. I love them and wear them even in summer. My feet are cooler than with cotton socks because they stay drier. And in my running that I do, my feet have had less blisters!

However...they are not cheap. One pair costs as much as a pack of 6 cotton socks. So that is something to consider along with the other good frugal options posted here.

Erika
  • Tue, Mar 1 2011 7:49 PM In reply to

I also wear Smart Wools a lot, but they're really expensive, as you mention. I'd like to wear them all the time, but just can't afford to :-(

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Tue, Mar 1 2011 8:53 PM In reply to

I have SmartWool socks, too. They are great - have lasted for 2 years now with heavy use. I wanted to be able to use the cotton WalMart socks, but I can't stand the sweating.

I don't know if SmartWool makes a lighter sock, but I think I will purchase a couple of pair if they do, and donate most of my cotton socks. SmartWool is indeed expensive, but not in the long run. The WalMart socks are thin and easly worn out.

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 9:05 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

I don't know how much these Smart Wool socks cost, but if you knit or have a friend who knits, there are some wonderful machine-washable sock weight wool yarns available now. When the yarn is on sale I can make a pair for about $7 (with leftovers to make booties or little craft projects!). I have a couple pair I wear throughout the summer. When they start to wear, it's the toe or the ball of the foot that goes, so even an inexpert repair won't be seen by others!

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 11:43 PM In reply to

go to the baby section next to the talcome powder is one that is corn starch put that on the bottem of your feet put on a couple of straight cotten sock and then the sneakers I don't know if you can afford it sometimes you can put inserts in the sneakers for oder eatters I think they are called as for the sweating your glands are working overtime but I don't know how to help you from the sweating good luck.

chrissanne
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us