Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Gathering the Supplies for Spring Cleaning

Last post Sun, Feb 27 2011 7:41 AM by Brandy. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 3:47 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Gathering the Supplies for Spring Cleaning

It's time to start making spring cleaning lists and gathering our frugal and homemade cleaners!

What are your favorite cleaners?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 4:54 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: Gathering the Supplies for Spring Cleaning

don't have a set spring cleaning time.  I clean when needed or forced too lol.

I use the same cleaners, water/vinegar, lysol, vim cleaner.   my stove is self cleaning.   needs to be done but I need to be home for 5hrs straight for that.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Feb 23 2011 10:32 AM In reply to

MarthaMFI:
    I clean when needed or forced too lol.

Sounds like me. White vinegar is my all around  favorite cleaner. It does so many things well. I like to use microfiber cloths too.  AM
  • Sat, Feb 26 2011 10:13 PM In reply to

I make a mixture of water, vinegar and a tiny bit of dish soap as an all purpose cleaner for the kitchen and bathroom and detailed cleaning of nick-nacks.  It's safe enough for DD to use.  We just use kitchen washcloths or old too-small socks.

For hard to clean things (like when I neglect the stove or toaster oven for a couple of weeks when I know there's something caked on...) I sprinkle on baking soda, then soak a paper towel in vinegar and lay over the baking soda for an hour or so; wipe and done! 

My counters and cabinets are white (not a choice I would ever make) and a magic eraser can work wonders on them; I use about 4 a year, so it's not a huge investment.

Baking soda is used on the carpets, too.  Sprinkle on, let it set a while, then vacuum up.  I like to sprinkle it on at night and vacuum in the morning.  It's not dangerous so I don't have to worry about my cats.  It's one of the few things they won't eat anyway.  Wink

We use windex for the windows where the dog constantly looks out b/c her nose messes them up, but we try to use newspaper when we can since it's free.

We have hard water and I found a toilet bowl cleaner that is $1 from the dollar tree -- LOVE IT.  Spray around the rim, wait 2 or 3 minutes, flush and, voila!, clean toilet.  1 bottle lasts us about 2 months.  Sometimes I even use the stuff to clean off the drain rack in the kitchen.  Just rinse it really well when I'm done cleaning it.

Otherwise, it's my vacuum, my feather duster, and some elbow grease.  Oh, and a pillowcase for fan blades.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sat, Feb 26 2011 10:18 PM In reply to

Brandy thanks for this time of year again of the big spring clean.

1. rubber gloves-

2.bucket

3. trashbags

4.fume mask I call it the fme mask its good to keep the dust from nose and the mouth I have to clean storage sheds and my closet Im goint to take my estate stuff and sell it my dad will not touch this he threw away one anticque and ruin a anticque chest of mine so thats coming in the house.

• Sun, Feb 27 2011 12:38 AM In reply to

How long does it take for the vinegar smell to disappear?

• Sun, Feb 27 2011 1:49 AM In reply to

seaturtle:
    How long does it take for the vinegar smell to disappear?
    Just until it dries.  AM

• Sun, Feb 27 2011 7:41 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I don't set a specific time for my cleaning. As soon as the weather is warm and I can open windows, I begin the cleaning.

For deep cleaning I like to pull out the commericial stuff so I have my mint cleaner which is less chemical than other choices, 409, Comet and bleach. I use whatever is approriate for the job.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us