Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Using the Odd Bits

Last post Tue, Mar 1 2011 8:42 PM by Shinobu. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 3:08 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Using the Odd Bits

There is always a little leftover ribbon, wraping paper, soap and many other things. How do you the little bits left?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 3:48 PM In reply to

Re: Using the Odd Bits

DD uses my leftover ribbon & wrapping paper to make crafts. She has learned to use a hole punch to "sew" ribbon into construction paper or wrapping paper.

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 6:48 PM In reply to

I usually keep a "scraps" container for my odds & ends of craft supplies (ribbons, paper, yarn, fabrics, scrapbooking scraps, etc.) and then let the kids use that instead of using my "good" stuff.

As far as soap is concerned, if it's bar soap, I'll try to adhere a new bar to the old one, while the old one is still soft and wet. Hand soap in pump bottles, I usually water down a little to get the last little bit of the soap out, or I'll take the pump/lid off the bottle, and dump the leftover into a newer bottle. Same goes for dish soap (Dawn).

~*~Angie~*~

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 7:05 PM In reply to

I keep the smaller pieces of wrapping paper and ribbon  .. they come in handy to wrap small presents! 

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 7:57 PM In reply to

I use my soap scraps to make laundry soap. When there's not enough wrapping paper left for anything I recycle it. I don't need to wrap a lot of things and I get the paper on clearance. Hand lotion gets poured into the new bottle when there's enough room.

Jill

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 8:39 PM In reply to

• mary w.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 27 2007
    • Austin texas
    • Posts 465

I take leftover bits of bar soap and place them inside the toe area of an old pair of nylons or knee highs and cut and tie a not in it, then I use it in the shower.  I have also placed several leftover bits of soap in a double boiler and heated just to melting and placed the liquid in a mold and let it cool and then just use as usual.  This also works with leftover candle bits if you have a wick to place in it. 

mary w.
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 9:04 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

LWolfT:
    I keep the smaller pieces of wrapping paper and ribbo

So do I and they do come in handy. I have quite collection to suit any ocassion.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 9:44 PM In reply to

Cindy showed me this you know close to the end of soap I make hand soap out of it liquade and left over yarns I give to cindy she throws them in afghans to darn socks to fixing a sweater.  I save twisties from bread to reuse them and pastic bag from the bread I put over the meat to freeze it.

And old shirts I make pillow cases out of them and use for a christmas presant.  And last but least old shoe laces I always use to tie up the cords to electric cords and to put them away.

chrissanne
  • Wed, Feb 23 2011 11:43 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

I would like an idea on how to use the leftovers from a stick of deoderant. There is always a bunch that crumbles up at the end. I've been saving it - I have three or four sets of crumbly leftover deoderant - but not sure what to do. I've tried just applying the crumbles with my fingers but it gets messy and I waste at least half of it that way. Can I melt it? And then what do I use for a mold? Maybe the lid of the deoderant? Has anyone else tried this?

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 5:01 PM In reply to

MamaJ:

I would like an idea on how to use the leftovers from a stick of deoderant. There is always a bunch that crumbles up at the end. I've been saving it - I have three or four sets of crumbly leftover deoderant - but not sure what to do. I've tried just applying the crumbles with my fingers but it gets messy and I waste at least half of it that way. Can I melt it? And then what do I use for a mold? Maybe the lid of the deoderant? Has anyone else tried this?

I've tried melting it,and it was just a mess.   I usually wait until I use a new stick about a quarter of the way down, then p[ush the stick down ad bit and  pack the "crumbles" into the top.  It holds together OK.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us