Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

what's your luxury item?

Last post 03-10-2011 10:12 AM by haverwench. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (25 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-21-2011 2:38 PM

what's your luxury item?

When the economy is getting better, people start splurging again.  Here's a list of some items people splurge on.  What do you splurge on when you've got a little to spend?

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 02-21-2011 3:06 PM In reply to

Re: what's your luxury item?

Wine is our weekly grocery treat.  We love to share a glass or two of wine after the kids are asleep on Wednesday nights and again on the weekend, usually Saturdays.

When we have extra to splurge with, a nice meal out.  Or buying something for our house.  I am saving up for new bed linens for our master bedroom right now.

• 02-21-2011 3:09 PM In reply to

I love books and my gardens so that is a weak spot for me. DH loves to eat out. We used to go once a week but have cut it ot only once a month. DD#2 spluge is books too. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 02-21-2011 3:29 PM In reply to

Definitely wine! Our local wine store does a "6 for $60" deal each month. We never cut it out entirely, even when times were lean for us, but now we're more willing to try new things.

• 02-21-2011 3:35 PM In reply to

more expensive face lotions....the less expensive ones don't work for an old lady like me. Also take out chinese dinners about once a month. And cable tv is important to me since dh and I work separate shifts, when we are home alone (me in the evening and him during the day) we like to catch up on favorite shows we record. Sorry if I'm making my life sound too exciting, lol....we really are low-key people. :)
  • 02-21-2011 5:04 PM In reply to

I try to keep a bag of Dove dark chocolate on hand.  Two pieces melted into a cup of hot milk are my own little "treat", & I can usually manage to buy the chocolate after any given holiday on sale.

• 02-21-2011 7:50 PM In reply to

Mine is books.  I have a problem, but I'm okay with it.

Another is specialty baking or cooking items, but since my kitchen is really well-stocked now, I don't delve into this one but maybe 1 item every couple years when something wears out.

We try to eat out once a month.  It's a treat for all of us.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 02-21-2011 11:04 PM In reply to

Books, although I buy a lot fewer than I used to; I'm running out of storage space for the ones I have.  I need to seriously clean out the bookcases and update my list... I have so many that unless something is really new, I can't buy anything without checking first to see if I already have it.  I generally only buy books if I expect I'll read them multiple times, usually if an author I like is continuing a series; I like to reread the entire series in sequence when a new book comes out, which is much easier if I own it than trying to get the series in sequence from the library.

I also have a closet full of yarn (and I do mean a closet) - I really need to quit buying yarn for the foreseeable future, but new textures, colors, and materials keep coming out, and I want to experiment with them... it's an addiction, I know, but there are way worse addictions I could have.

Realistically, though, I don't spend very much on either of those - I've bought one book in the past year, and I bought that with a gift card I was given a few months ago.  My real luxury, the thing I pay for regularly and don't need, is my monthly cleaning lady.  I started using a cleaning lady about 18 months ago; I had knee surgery and couldn't kneel, and my mother had foot surgery around the same time and couldn't come help me, so she offered to pay for a cleaning lady for the first two months when I couldn't do things like scrub the bathtub, and I decided I really liked having someone come in once a month to do the deep cleaning - and needing the have surfaces clear for when she comes in (she cleans around things like mail and clutter) really helps me the rest of the month, too.

• 02-21-2011 11:08 PM In reply to

1. perfume love the stuff but can't afford what I do like so I live with out. Oscar delanrenta thats what I like.

2.Big box of whitmans chocolets along with dove and along with cadbery they are expensive for me so once a year from now on.

3.Silk sccarf.

• 02-21-2011 11:14 PM In reply to

My maxi scooter.  It is a 400cc Suzuki Burgman and I just love it.  It is quite convenient to keep it insured all year around and whenever it is a nice day I can hop on it and go and ride.  It is much more economical to run than the car and a full tank of 14 litres (3 1/2 gallons) of gas costs me $14 and gets me more than 300 kilometres of use.  If I have to cut down to one vehicle the car is going first.  Sally

Page 1 of 3 (25 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us