Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Do you use a grow light when starting seeds indoors?

Last post 03-07-2011 8:34 AM by slk2042. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-21-2011 1:35 PM

Do you use a grow light when starting seeds indoors?

I am wondering how many people use a grow light to start their seeds. What size light do you have? Do you have a special place to start your seeds and use the light? Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 02-22-2011 4:04 PM In reply to

Re: Do you use a grow light when starting seeds indoors?

I'm interested in this as well. I tried using a full spectrum craft light last year and as expected, it didn't work well.
  • 02-22-2011 5:36 PM In reply to

Are you talking about germinating the seeds, or growing the seedlings?

After I plant seeds in pots or 6-packs, I put them in trays,cover them with clear plastic covers or bags, and put them on top of my refrigerator to germinate. It's just a little warmer up there, and the plants like bottom heat. When the plants emerge, the seedling go down in the basement under flourescent lights-48" shop lite type fixtures one cool white bulb and one warm white bulb. When the bulbs wear out, I'll probably get full spectrum bulbs. The plants should be only a few inches below the lights to start- and either raise the lights or lower the plants as they grow. I use a plug in timer and leave the lights on 12 hours a day.

• 02-25-2011 7:19 PM In reply to

The little pots sit on the kitchen counter after they are planted, in an aluminum pie tin, on top of a plate.  That counter gets the morning sun.  No grow lights here.

• 02-25-2011 8:35 PM In reply to

you need to go to the nursery and get free advice from them and what Im use to do and still do once inawhile blue type lite or a low doage artifical lite you put it in a old fish aqureium I use to grow herbs like basile those were a pain to grow from seed but in the long run taste better, But get the free advice you all know how to rig something up.

• 02-25-2011 10:14 PM In reply to

No light. I have found a nice method for the one or two trays I start. I place a board on top of our oil-filled electric heater which is on and in a cool room this time of year (only on at night and have used a timer if the constant heat is not needed). When the seeds are up I place them in a windowsill (open inside for a larger platform, just storm window down) facing the south, afternoon sun only. Works great for me. I put the plants back on the bottom heat at night until later spring, and turn them each day on the sill.
  • 02-26-2011 1:25 AM In reply to

Have never used a grow light, but sometimes wanted one when very early seedlings began to get leggy and  I didn't have enough good window space for them.  AM

• 03-06-2011 5:46 PM In reply to

I greminate my seeds near the wood stove, it works great. I had a two foot grow light but recently bought another one. This one is 4 feet long. I really like it. Now I can do a lot more seeds under the lights. Our frost date is so late that some plants need to be started indoors are they dont mature and bear fruit. One of the "blessings" of living in New England. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 03-07-2011 8:34 AM In reply to

babs:
    Our frost date is so late that some plants need to be started indoors are they dont mature and bear fruit. One of the "blessings" of living in New England.

Whenever you can, it's a good idea to start seeds indoors anyway, so that you can extend the growing season and get more harvest than you would if you relied on the weather alone.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us