Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Getting Organized

Last post Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:10 PM by jayashiangel. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 15 2011 4:58 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Getting Organized

Spring is around the corner. This means some of us will be doing some deep cleaning and decluttering.

What are your best tips for getting organized? What are your weak points in getting your house in order?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Filed under:
  • Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:40 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: Getting Organized

my problem...constant kid stuff!   I do have a plan to do more.  all baby steps. we sorted books in the playroom last monday.   so since I volunteer at a thrift store once a week, plan to bring things on a weekly basis. 

I bought 6 things today...noahs ark rug kit I never did..babys room theme..my youngest is six, cat and dogs movie on vhs, craft mag, a tin and a couple other things. 

have thomas the train slippers and books to give a friend at moms group tomorrow.

the antique dresser I got for $25 at sally ann sale..decided to move the kids art supplies to it and have it in the dining room instead of the plastic drawer thing housing it now.  dh is putting down laminate so it all looks nicer.  the plastic drawer thing I will give to my friend for her to house her kids little toys.

I have my plans to go though different areas like the china cabinet, art supplies etc and get rid of things.   of course to declutter upstairs somethings are going downstairs!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Feb 16 2011 2:27 AM In reply to

My problems include keeping too much stuff and failing to clean/put away as I go. My plan is to improve in both areas. AM

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 5:21 AM In reply to

Anna Marie:
    My problems include keeping too much stuff and failing to clean/put away as I go. My plan is to improve in both areas. AM

Are you my long lost sister?!  LOL  Embarrassed  I'm the same way.  DH & I were talking about this the other day b/c the living room stays mostly clean as does the kitchen -- b/c everything has a place.  The dining room doesn't have much in it, but we keep our craft stuff in there now b/c there's more space for it and there's a better working space with the 2 tables, but it could use reoganizing.

But the areas that are cluttered are really cluttered.  I'm always trying new ways to organize b/c eventually one of them will work for us.  DH is the same.  I had a book once that said something like, "If you are always walking in your house and dropping your coat on the chair next to the door, then move the chair and put a coat rack there or put a hook on the wall behind the chair so you can hang up your jacket.  Work with your habits, not against them."  I thought that was really good advice.  So, since we always drop paper work and non-grocery purchases on the table inside the door, I need to make sure there is a spot near that table to house those items.

I plan on doing some rearranging in the bathroom, if I can, too.  We have things we drop in certain places all the time, so we need to work with that and not against it.  Sometimes my ideas work, sometimes they don't. I keep trying.

The house is always a work in progress.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Feb 16 2011 7:47 PM In reply to

Anna Marie:

Me too (or three?)!  I've slowly been sorting through things for an upcoming yard sale, and I've been finding more and more to get rid of, which gives me more places to put things away in an organized fashion - I'm much better at putting things away if they have a specific place to be.

• Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:10 PM In reply to

Anna Marie:

My problem is just me!!! I hate to clean.. I am a horder for sure...I am a slob according to my mom....:O) she is a clean freak trust me...How to get started??? Well start small for me is working great!! Every weekend on Sunday 11-2 pm and Tuesday say from 4pm-8pm my mom comes over and has been helping me get my room clean along with my bathroom these areas have not been cleaned in 5 years I use to work a job 60 + hours a week and well I let the whole house just go (plus I moved in 5 years ago when I started with the company so I was busy 24/7) My fiance who also worked for the company moved in so together we had a big A$* mess..

I have 2 closets completely cleaned the bathroom as well I still have a few more boxes to go thur and 1 smaller closet to finish tomorrow they my room will be done...:O) yes it took me 1 month over several day but I didn't stop as I would have before due the huge task at hand... then on to my dining room I know it's there somewhere?? 

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us