Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Yippeeee we have lice

Last post Fri, Feb 18 2011 8:34 AM by 4givennotperfect. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:30 PM

Yippeeee we have lice

DD told me the other night that her head has been itching so bad. I checked her head real good but didnt see anything. Yesterday she found a live one on her head. After I stopped hyperventilating I flew to the store to get "the stuff". 50.00 later! I had no idea what I was looking for because none of the kids have ever had it(21 years knock on wood) but now I do. Almost 3 hours later of combing out nits on her very long hair I consider myself almost a pro. None of the rest of us are having symptoms. Her and her dad did all the bagging of stuff and started washing. I boiled hairbrushes and sprayed all the upholstery and her bed. I am praying that one treatment does it. I told her every night we are going to be going through her hair to get rid of nits if there are any for a while. I am wondering though if I find any live ones if I have to wait a week to reshampoo her like it says on the box? Seems to not make sense to wait if I find any live ones?

Hell hath no fury like a woman who has lost her coupons
  • Sun, Feb 13 2011 5:19 PM In reply to

Re: Yippeeee we have lice

When our children were younger, lice came home at least once a year from the "reading pillows" in the library at school.  The "stuff" we used was NIX, but it contains permethrim, which was a problem for our daughter with asthma.  Flash forward to the grandchildre - same issue, the lice come from both church & school where they are, & 3 of the 3 grandkids have asthma.

Sooo - - now that you have used the "stuff", be aware that you can also kill lice with an oil treatment to the hair.  Olive oil works GREAT.  You warm the oil, apply it, & wrap the head & hair in an old towel, "& have a beauty treatment", while you paint fingernails or toenails, or whatever.  The warm oil both suffocates the live lice & removes the protective coating from the eggs(which kills them) & helps to loosen the glue holding them onto the hair shaft, but you still have to fine-comb.  This is more easily done BEFORE you wash out the oil treatment. Then you shampoo & the hair looks like hair does after a warm oil pack - - great!

When our oldest g-daughter was about 10, she became very self-conscious of having lice, & so whenever anyone in the family came home with them, the boys got a buzz cut & the girl's had a "pamper party night".  For the cost of a small bottle of nail-polish, DD turned lemons into lemonade.

You can also use the freezer to kill lice - - works better for things like hair elastics, etc. Just pop them in a baggie & into the freezer for a week.

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 9:17 PM In reply to

cvs. or walgreens if thats near by there is a product is rid good stuff and when a good condition mayo to condition rid is kind of drying just helps with the skin only and suficate the lice I did that with the kid we adopted years ago then we striped sheets and washed with hot water gets rid of it and make sure you follow what the products says then you have it made 4 givin you might kick me for this (gee what luck of this new year your having) smae here but no lice. that saying me have no lice yeah thats it I finally got it right I thing I better get off being tired things are looking goofie and funny night all.

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 9:23 PM In reply to

There is a bright side to this, maybe this will prompt your so called 'house guest' to leave sooner rather than later LOL.  Wouldn't this be great if he did, wow don't let the door hit you on the backside on your way out.  Sally

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 9:29 PM In reply to

Sallybabe56:
    There is a bright side to this, maybe this will prompt your so called 'house guest' to leave sooner rather than later LOL.
       I was thinking the same thing.  These little buggies may be your gift from above.  In the mean time, slather everyone with greasy stuff. Our nurse at school said use VO5, mayo, olive oil, vaseline and go with the greasy '50s look.  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Sun, Feb 13 2011 9:47 PM In reply to

2ndGenGranola:

Sallybabe56:
    There is a bright side to this, maybe this will prompt your so called 'house guest' to leave sooner rather than later LOL.
       I was thinking the same thing.  These little buggies may be your gift from above.  In the mean time, slather everyone with greasy stuff. Our nurse at school said use VO5, mayo, olive oil, vaseline and go with the greasy '50s look.  

You gals crack me up! Believe it or not he is not leaving but staying downstairs an awful lot.

After I was done picking the nits last night I flat ironed her hair and let it sizzle so any eggs left on the hair(except for right close to the head where the iron can't get) must have been killed. My friend is a hairdresser and gave me the idea which she did on her daughter.

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 11:08 PM In reply to

Glad to give you a lift.  If I lived near you, I'd come over there personally and boot the sod out of your house, excuse my language please and thank you.  It really gets to me the run around he has given you and your husband and family.  No true friends do that to one another.  Anyway enjoy the laugh we have given you.  Hugs Sally.

• Mon, Feb 14 2011 12:59 PM In reply to

• allie
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 12 2008
    • Virginia
    • Posts 810

So sorry to see you're fighting this battle.  I have been there too many times with my daughter.  It seemed like for a while if she ever went to a friend's house, she came home with lice.  The medicated stuff made her hair fall out so I used mayonnaise per the nurse's advice.  I would buy the cheapest mayonnaise I could find, slathered on her hair, and then covered with a plastic shopping bag.  Then I'd let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour and comb out, then wash several times to remove the oilyness.  Repeat the treatment as needed and for sure, after a week.

• Mon, Feb 14 2011 7:10 PM In reply to

Sallybabe56:

Glad to give you a lift.  If I lived near you, I'd come over there personally and boot the sod out of your house, excuse my language please and thank you.  It really gets to me the run around he has given you and your husband and family.  No true friends do that to one another.  Anyway enjoy the laugh we have given you.  Hugs Sally.

Sally I have no doubt you would come over here and take care of my "problem".

I just finished lathering conditioner on dd's head as a backup treatment. Put her hair in a hair cap and told her to keep it on for at least an hour. I am thinking about stripping her bed again for precaution.

• Mon, Feb 14 2011 8:42 PM In reply to

oh what joy this week brrings eh??  Use rid before that do a mayo thing on the head before the shampoo treatment it cuts the oxgen off to some of the lice then do the shampoo get rid of those eight legged critters how about to the 2 legged kind..

chrissanne
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us