Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Funeral expenses - how much should I expect to pay

Last post Thu, Feb 14 2013 6:28 PM by Bernie. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 13 2011 7:08 AM In reply to

• Candyi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 31 2009
    • Posts 33

Re: Funeral expenses - how much should I expect to pay

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 3:07 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Candyi:

Hi Candyi, you didn't post a message.  How are things for you today?

Karen

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Mon, Feb 14 2011 8:28 AM In reply to

• Candyi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 33

Thank you for all the ideas and good wishes -- My husband is feeling OK but very weak - not sure what is going on, doing a scan later this week.  I am going to investigate all the options and handle things earlier rather than later.  Please know that I appreciate your kindness very much.  It is a very sad time for me, but like many others before me I will have to persevere and do the best I can.  Blessings to all 

• Fri, Feb 18 2011 12:28 PM In reply to

Hi, just thought I would drop by and let you know I'm sending good thoughts, love and prayers for you and Your Family....

• Thu, Mar 3 2011 9:14 AM In reply to

• Candyi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 33

Dear Friends,

I am now writing to let you know that my dear husband passed away on February 19.  My heart is broken, but I know that he is in a much better place now, free of disease.

For those that answer my queries,I thank you kindly.  It helped me a lot when I went to do the funeral arrangements.  Surprisingly, the funeral director did not try to oversell me - I chose a local family run funeral parlor rather than the big corporation one. The total for everything, taking care of the body, funeral parlor viewing for a day, funeral mass, organ music, a singer, flowers, limo, a metal casket (which my children and I wanted) was around $6,000/  The cementery plot for two was $4240 with perpetual care. The funeral parlor sent us home between viewings with hot food for 40 people catered by a local restaurant (this was all included).  Overall, his life insurance policy will cover the expenses with some $ left over for me to buy a stone for his grave.

What a sad time but I know that time will heal.  Thank you again, for all your help.

I

• Thu, Mar 3 2011 9:28 AM In reply to

{{{{{{Candi}}}}}}

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Thu, Mar 3 2011 9:32 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Candy,

I am so sorry for your loss.   Take care, 

{{{hugsss}}}

Karen

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Thu, Mar 3 2011 10:07 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

neral home fu You have gotten such great adviceso I don't have much to add. Funeral directors are required to notify Social Security so you do not need a certificate for that.  If your husband is currently receiving Social Security, you will need to contact them though to receive the death benefit.  Not much, but every bit helps.

As to costs of cremation vs burial, if you decide on cremation then find out who actually does the cremation as this can save a lot.  For instance our county has four funeral homes that can provide cremations, about $3,000.  What they don't tell you is that they transport the remains to a funeral home in a larger town in the next county (30 miles) for cremation. 

If families went directly to the home where the cremetorium is they would save about $2,000 

If your husband is a veteran?  Contact a social worker at the closest VA hospital or military installation.  They will provide a stone if needed.   Do you have any military cemeteries in your area?  This would also save cost of a plot & the openning & closing of a grave.

One other thing to keep in mind.  If your husband has any credit card debt solely in his name, do not pay one single dime of it.  They will bug you but remember credit card debt is unsecured.  You may have to send a copy of an obit.  Don't even send a death certificate as you have to pay for those.

You have got so much on your shoulders & my heart goes out to you.  You will be in my prayers.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Thu, Mar 3 2011 11:29 AM In reply to

Candyi, so sorry about your loss.  It sounds like the company you chose did a beautiful job and that things really came together for you when you needed it.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Thu, Mar 3 2011 1:18 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

sorry for your loss.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 2 of 3 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us