Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Have you started any seed yet?

Last post Sat, May 19 2012 1:34 PM by zohnerfarms. 64 replies.
Page 1 of 7 (65 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 9 2011 8:08 PM

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Have you started any seed yet?

Has anyone started any seeds indoors? Today, I planted brocoli, cabbage, cukes and 2 kinds of tomatos. I have the grow light set up. These were older seeds so I wanted to get a jump start to see if they are going to sprout. Post if you have any plans to starts some seeds. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Thu, Feb 10 2011 9:55 AM In reply to

Re: Have you started any seed yet?

I've started broccoli, cabbage, and peppers for veggies. For flowers I've started small sunflowers, Texas bluebonnets, two types of marigolds, and Shasta daisies.

Most seeds will keep for 4 to 5 years under the right circumstances. You need to keep them in an airtight container in  very cold place, preferably a freezer. It must be an airtight container, because any ethylene gas that your fruit emits as it ripens will cause your seeds not to sprout.

My cabbage seeds were marked for the 2007 growing season, and they've sprouted just fine.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Feb 15 2011 2:04 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Brocolli are up and growing, a few tomatoes are sprouting, still waiting for the cabbage. Planted some more different seeds this week. I am so ready for gardening time. Babs

• Tue, Feb 15 2011 2:46 PM In reply to

My seedlings are growing well. In fact, I just posted a blog update about how they're growing:

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/2011/02/seedlings-update.html

I am so ready for gardening, too. This might sound strange, but I LOVE the smell of a good, earthy soil. (Is that weird?)

I am promising myself that I will keep the garden small this year, because my 2 yr. old and 8 mo. old might not let me tend to the plants as much as I'd like. I am only going to start a few plants, but hopefully a wide variety that I will still feel like it's a big harvest. My plans are: 4 cucumbers (the long, European variety), 2 cantalopes (I've never done well with these, but I'm going to keep trying!), 4 bell peppers, 4 broccoli, 4 cabbage, 2 Better Boy tomatoes, 2 Roma tomatoes, 3 yellow squash, 2 watermelons, 2 squares each of carrots and scallions (32 plants of each), 36 spinach, about 50 bush green beans, 12 lettuce (summer crisp and bibb), and about 40 beets.

I garden using the square foot method, so there's very little space involved. I have a 16 ft. by 4 ft. section of garden plot, but I'm planning to put the Roma tomatoes in pots with a lattice.

Stacie

• Tue, Feb 15 2011 6:48 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Stacie, they look good.
    Remember peppers can take up to 3 weeks to sprout. Babs

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 8:42 AM In reply to

Thanks, Bab. I expect they'll take a bit longer, actually, because the seeds are a couple of years old. I've never had good success with planting peppers from seeds. I always break down and buy the plants. I'm hoping this year will be the year it works!

Stacie

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 8:52 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I am the same. Last year, I did get hot peppers to grow from seed. I had bought hot peppers at the farmers market and dried them. Decided to try it and it worked. I have hot and sweet pepper seeds planted and waiting to see if they will sprout. Babs

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 10:23 AM In reply to

Let me advise you, from experience (!) that you should plant your hot peppers WAY far away from your sweet peppers. They'll cross-pollinate each other, and your sweet peppers will be just as hot as your hot peppers. (Just sayin'...learned that lesson the hard way!)

Stacie

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 11:18 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Thanks for the tip, Babs

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 3:03 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

got some tomatoes started and a brunch of cokes , some cabbages .   DH has a pan of peppers in the other green house ..  he got a bunch of new peppers this year  ...   

I can hardly wait I have a new blend of salad greens that look great .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 7 (65 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us