Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Eating Out for Less

Last post 02-23-2011 9:43 AM by mamasjob. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2011 7:33 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Eating Out for Less

Are there ways to eat out without spending a fortune for those times you just have to grab a bite on the go or want a nice time out away from home?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Filed under: ,
  • 02-08-2011 7:38 PM In reply to

Re: Eating Out for Less

-do lunch instead of dinner

-don't order alcohol or sodas, stick to water

-no appetizers  or dessert

-try the specials

• 02-08-2011 7:54 PM In reply to

My local friends say that I know all the tricks of saving $$$ on meals and on groceries. My nail tech says that I'm awesome and ruthless because I save $$$ on food and meals and then I spend it on being pampered at the beauty shop.

I signed up on lots of restaurant websites. That gets me coupons on a regular basis. I get free coupons every time they change the menu at Uno.  I also clip out coupons out of the newspapers.

By reading the newspaper, I can see when Early Bird Specials are. I also read when they have lunch specials.

In the past I've used the International Dining Club and the Entertainment Book. In 2010 I ate at Uno with $100 in gift cards plus $20 in bonus vouchers in additrion to my free coupons.

• 02-08-2011 8:27 PM In reply to

The last 2 Decembers we've purchased $100 in Outback giftcards b/c you get a bonus $20 GC.  Since we know we'll eat there about 2-3 times a year, this covers 2 of those dinners.  So that's one way to save -- get the GCs when they are offering bonus GCs to go with them.  Of course, you need to use the bonus GCs, which often have sooner expiration dates, to make it worthwhile.

I've heard good things about groupon, but I've not tried it.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 02-08-2011 8:33 PM In reply to

Take out is another way to have a good meal but spend less money. We do that then we dony buy drinks or dessert, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 02-08-2011 9:01 PM In reply to

Kids eat free night -- OK, it won't be the peaceful, romantic evening but it is a chance to get out.

Share a meal.  My little one is not a big eater and most adult plates are too big for me.  I'll order then split it with my youngest.  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 02-08-2011 10:23 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we do the special ( early birds ) coupons from the local entretainment book  ,  cut coupons.

we ususally go and order dinner or we eat at home and got out to dessert ...  alot of times we go at off hours ... we take the children for breakfast out .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 02-11-2011 6:48 PM In reply to

Since eating out is with my dd we have this down for most of the places we go if we go out with others it only takes us a few mins to work it out.. going out to eat is our spend time together chatting time...

Fast Food - Wendy's or Mcdonald's- $10.00 for us if we split a drink it's less :O)

Chinese at a sit down place- $20 only place it costs us alot however we have leftovers for each of use to have a dinner that night.

Cracker Barrel or Black Bear Dinner- $16.00 that is the best we can do & that is spliting a meal this includes 2 extra sides.

Pizza- under $10 this includes drinks

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/

Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 3
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• 02-11-2011 8:00 PM In reply to

sunshine trev. oh rub it in you get the good stuff ...=)-  just teasing there we get fliers threw the mail and thats how mom can get a good meal lets say sherries rest. or denny's sometimes jack in the box once in awhile for ha ha's the really expensive meals come from burger king and dairy queen ...lol

• 02-11-2011 8:07 PM In reply to

DS and I do not eat out much, but I look for places that have free kid's night meals. He and I have also shared an appetizer instead of ordering a huge plate of dinner or even split a dinner plate. Of course, I know it is much different when you have a bigger family to feed. Also many times the specials are for children of a certain age group. I never drink an alcoholic beverage. Many places do give you free refills with your meals so that helps but even at that they are pricey on drinks. You can also order the specials which help on cost too,
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us