Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Country Decor

Last post Wed, Apr 6 2011 4:34 PM by zohnerfarms. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 7:00 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Country Decor

A country decor in a house always seems homey to me and that goes in hand with frugal. I have noticed though that even this look can come with a high price tag. How do you decorate in the country style frugally?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Feb 8 2011 7:05 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: Country Decor

Old bottles in the window, old blue canning jars to use in the kitchen to store things or hold utensils.  Old tablecloths or lace pieces from yard sales or that have been passed down in the family. old rocking chairs. Flowers in old jars or bottles. Cast iron pans. I gues this is more country kitchen than other rooms. Old quilts. Old dolls on beds or in chairs. Grapevine wreaths. Baskets used to hold dishtowels, wash cloths, plants, all for the moment, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 7:14 PM In reply to

My decore consists of quilt and a end table with lace table cover and I do need to finish my pillow cases embroidereing and next project for the last part of the room of mine feather pillows. Oh I have cross stitch needs to be done goes over my bed with fried flowers or the silk arangement to make to put over the frame.

• Wed, Feb 9 2011 10:15 AM In reply to

quilts on a quilt rack, mismatched furniture, throws, old crocks

I used to think everything needed to match exactly, but now I just try to match colors in rooms throughout the house somewhat to have a cohesive feel.  Greens, blues, pinks---all different shades of each.  I have a country/shabby chic mix!

• Wed, Feb 9 2011 2:45 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

whitney37354:
    I used to think everything needed to match exactl

I think that's the good part in several decorating styles, they don't have to be exact but come together nicely as a collection. Country, Victorian, seaside and a few others work for this.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Feb 10 2011 12:07 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we have a country still I think really it just our style ...

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Mar 14 2011 7:27 PM In reply to

Clearly handmade items.  AM

• Mon, Mar 14 2011 7:59 PM In reply to

Starting on pillow case next month those I already have with the thread just never got to them now the starting of the finish cool.

• Wed, Apr 6 2011 2:00 PM In reply to

Refinished antiques, good ol' flea market stuff, colorful enamel cast-iron pans, old cookie jars, crocks, and yes, my personal favorite, the blue Mason jar.

• Wed, Apr 6 2011 4:34 PM In reply to

littlepitcher:
    my personal favorite, the blue Mason jar.

My personal favorite, too. 

I think one thing that helps pull together "country" style is the use of doilies & what used to be called "dresser linens".  An embroidered dresser scarf, or a crocheted doily under the lamp, with a handmade quilt on the bed ( even a denim quilt) make the room look "country".  Whether you are going for Country French, with lots of white & blues, or more Americana, with the cast-iron pans & crocks, thrift stores are the way that I decorate country without killing the budget.

I think a vase of fresh cut flowers also helps a lot, & those are free if you grow them yourself.  I do have a 2 quart glass mason jar, filled with pebbles from the property, where a couple of stems of srtificial forsythia "grow".  Helps during the long snow season.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us