Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Tax Refunds

Last post 02-22-2011 9:36 PM by sissy. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2011 11:32 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Tax Refunds

For man, tax refunds come even if they are not overpaying in taxes. If you are among these people, have you made a wise plan for your refund? It can be a cash influx that helps finances. What are you doing with it?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Filed under:
  • 02-02-2011 11:38 AM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 07-23-2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

Re: Tax Refunds

We filed our taxes online Sunday afternoon to get it out of the way...since we are pretty much debt free now and not really getting that much back we decided just to put it in our savings account.
  • 02-02-2011 11:42 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Lee:
    since we are pretty much debt free now and not really getting that much back we decided just to put it in our savings account.

Not having to use a refund for a major repair, necessary purchase or to pay debt is a good thing.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 02-02-2011 11:43 AM In reply to

We have a few options for our refund, depending on how much it will be. First, we may get a new mattress. We are very displeased with the one we bought last year. (Long story, won't bore you with it.) Second, we may think about buying DD a used car so she can finally get her driver license (neither of our current cars are good for new drivers--a big minivan with blind spots, and a 5-speed pickup.) Third, we may just use it to rebuild our savings account back to a position where we feel more secure.

We usually itemize our deductions, and the IRS forms to do that are not yet available. So we'll wait...

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • 02-02-2011 12:40 PM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 07-23-2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

It is nice to not need it for a major expense. There are some little things DH thinks we could use it for but I'm still leaning towards saving it because what he would like to do with it isn't something we can't live without. Besides, he'll be getting his bonus at the end of the month and that's always a nice sum.
  • 02-02-2011 12:42 PM In reply to

In the past, I've used my refund to pay down debt.  Now that all I really have left is the mortgage and a private loan from a family member, along with increasing expenses and decreasing income (I have to pay for part of my health insurance now, which I didn't before - leading to a net decrease in income) I intend to put any refund into savings against unplanned expenses, such as home or car repairs.
  • 02-02-2011 6:32 PM In reply to

It's going into my land purchase fund.

• 02-03-2011 8:48 AM In reply to

I don't know how much we're getting back at this point since I have to delay filing until 2.14, but I'm guessing most of it (75%) will go into savings to replenish the emergency fund.  The rest will be used for necessary expenses -- a minor repair on the car; a trip to the dentist for me & DH; a donation to church; paying off my medical bills.  If we get more than I'm expecting, I need to bank it b/c DH & I are going to have to replace the home computer at some point.  As a student I get uber discounts on software, but we'd still need a cpu.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 02-12-2011 10:31 AM In reply to

I am planning to use it to pay my bills in the summer.  I am a 10-month employee (teacher) and don't get paid in July and August.  I know I'd much rather spend my summer with my son and keeping house than working.

• 02-12-2011 7:48 PM In reply to

We are only getting about $400 for federal and state. Not sure what we will do with it. I am just thankful that we didnt owe anything. Being self employed you never know how it will come out at the end of the year. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us