Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Helping a Sick Friend

Last post Wed, Feb 2 2011 12:51 PM by eyrehead. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 2 2011 11:01 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Helping a Sick Friend

Many on the boards have been ill this past winter or have loved ones who are. When a family member who lives with us takes ill, we often know what to do to help them. When a friend is sick, it always seems more complicated to me.

Do you help friends who get sick? What are the best things to do to help them become well or manage until they are?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 11:07 AM In reply to

Re: Helping a Sick Friend

Much of it depends upon who it is and what is going on. 

Often at church we will sign up for meals.  Some who are closer to the family will chauffeur the kids or keep them for a couple day play date.  Some who are really close will even go in for laundry/dishes/etc.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Wed, Feb 2 2011 11:08 AM In reply to

I've offered to pick things up at the store.  I find that most people don't want others "to go out of their way", so I usually tell them I'm running to store to get some stuff for my house and can I get them anything while I'm out.  They seem more willing to accept help since you're not doing anything special. 

I have neighbors who are older and one of them has COPD and cannot do much baking; whenever I make stuff I take a couple servings to them -- like 2 muffins for each of them or a mini-loaf of bread.  Everyone appreciates getting homemade goodies even when they're not sick!

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Feb 2 2011 12:51 PM In reply to

I usually offer to keep the kids (if they have any) for a little while, so they can rest or go to the dr, etc. And I usually prepare a meal or two for them and their families. Sometimes, depending how close a friend it is, if I'm out & about, I'll pick up a fresh bouquet of flowers, or a few things from the store, just to lighten their load.

MIL is sick right now, and lives about 30 minutes away. It's killing me right now to not be able to get to her, and make her some soup or get her some tea or pop. The 1 1/2" thick ice on our driveway and most of the back roads is making that impossible for me right now, and it's driving me bonkers!!

~*~Angie~*~

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us