Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Homemade Baby Food

Last post Mon, Jan 31 2011 11:04 AM by slk2042. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 31 2011 10:29 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Homemade Baby Food

When my children were little, I made their food for them. It was a gradual thing, learning more with each one and using less commercially jarred food for each.

Did you or do you make baby food yourself? What are some of things you have learned?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Jan 31 2011 10:32 AM In reply to

Re: Homemade Baby Food

Buy 15 oz cans of fruit in juice and whirl/smash it (usually on sale $1)vs buying baby fruit.I also used jarred/hm apple sauce.

Small pasta in stock is easily tolerated

Fzn 10 oz squares of butternut on sale ($1) are much cheaper than jarred.

• Mon, Jan 31 2011 11:04 AM In reply to

Re: Homemade Baby Food

I make about 99% of my own baby food. I puree' up fruit, veggies, and meats, then spoon it into ice cube trays. Once frozen, I pop the cubes into a freezer bag, label it, then keep it in the basket of my chest freezer for quick meals. I microwave the cubes until thawed, then add powdered baby cereal. I can mix and match meat and veggies to make a dinner-type meal.

The advantage of making my own food is that I can adjust the "chunkiness" to accommodate my baby's chewing skills. I also know exactly what's in the food. There are some brands of jarred baby food that have added fillers like cornstarch. If your baby has an allergy to corn, that might be a problem! And if you didn't think to look at the ingredients list to see if there were any fillers, you might not know exactly what your baby is allergic too.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us