Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

any craft ideas for plastic folgers tubs?

Last post Tue, Jan 11 2011 8:03 PM by cheapChic. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 8 2011 5:44 PM

any craft ideas for plastic folgers tubs?

I have both sizes. I would like to use them. Any ideas? thanks. 

http://innisfreeinalaska.blogspot.com/
  • Sat, Jan 8 2011 5:53 PM In reply to

Re: any craft ideas for plastic folgers tubs?

This is not crafty, per se, but my DD's preschool saved up a whole bunch of them and let the kids use them as large building blocks.  The kids made walls that were easy to knock down and put back up.  I supposed they could have spray painted them, but they left them as is.

Maybe you could decorate them on the outside and turn them into gifts.  You could paint the outside a pretty color and fill them goodies or gifts-in-a-jar type of things.  Or you could paint them to say things like, "Vacation fund" or "girls night out fund", drop a little money in there ($1-2) in seed money and give to friends and family as a way to say, "I support your goals" or "I want to spend time with you doing fun stuff." 

Another idea with painting them would be to help kids get their rooms organized.  My DD is 6 and has tons of little parts.  We purchased plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store, but if we had coffee cans (plastic or otherwise) we could have painted the outside and attached a picture of the item that goes inside the can.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sat, Jan 8 2011 6:06 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

If you give Christmas cookies or candy, they are the perfect color. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sat, Jan 8 2011 7:35 PM In reply to

I've used them as flower pots (note: you might want to cover with fabric or paper to cover the label).

Not crafty, but they also make good scoops, or punch holes in the bottom to use as watering cans.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Sat, Jan 8 2011 8:11 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... used mine this holiday for cocoa mix and soup mix gifts. Large cans make great flour and sugar containers. Also, to store dry pasta noodles. Use one to store lego toys for grandchild. Folgers site offered pages to print for decorations. 

• Sat, Jan 8 2011 9:00 PM In reply to

wrap papper on them and stick stickers on it make a collinder set like slour sugar and tea and coffee with it beening painted or pappered makes it look nice I keep buttens in mine.

• Sun, Jan 9 2011 3:46 AM In reply to

• Rainy day kits-4 kids or yourself things you will do on a rainy day that you don't do any other time (something special) kind of like this (http://momadvice.com/blog/2009/03/play-it-again-momma-rainy-day-survival-kit)

• If you do yarn projects cut small hole in middle of lid tread yarn thur hole and drop yarn inside ( this will keep yarn from getting out of hand) this can also work as quick grab and go for small trips.

• Change Bucket - I only use bills and all change goes in the bucket for a special treat when it gets full( lunch and thift store shopping..)
    http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Sun, Jan 9 2011 1:18 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

LWolfT:
    Not crafty, but they also make good scoops, or punch holes in the bottom to use as watering cans.

I have one as a watering can where I just use it like a pitcher to sprinkle or pour water from.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Jan 9 2011 1:50 PM In reply to

Does anyone here remember the walk-on stilt type of toys that you made with old coffee cans and rope? I wonder if the Folgers cans would be strong enough to hold a child's weight.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Sun, Jan 9 2011 2:30 PM In reply to

Knitteralaska, I used the floger's large coffee cans to giveaway some homemade chex mix I made. The way I did it you have to spend a very small amount of money I cleaned to can very well so it wouldn't smell of coffee then went to the Dollar Tree and they sell the package of stickers since I was giving it to a boy I bought a package of bear stickers and covered all of the print on the can I could then I put all of the trail mix in a zip-lock bag and put the whole bag into the plastic coffee can it turned out real cute if I  had a scanner I would show you but at this time I don't have a scanner. I prefer the Maxwell House coffee cans over the Folgers but they both work fine. We have a little pug dog which we save our change for him in a coffee can we call it his kitty and he knows exactly what we are talking about. If you have a scanner and find some cute ideas could you please share with us so we can make use of our old plastic cans?

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us