Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Getting really serious about using my leftovers.

Last post 01-28-2011 1:22 PM by budgetwise. 70 replies.
Page 1 of 8 (71 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-06-2011 6:06 PM

Getting really serious about using my leftovers.

Okay...I'll be honest, I love to go shopping. I really do. It gets me out of the house, I chat up the cashiers, get some fresh air, enjoy the sky and nature, but, right now I am really committed to using up my after-the-holidays leftovers and staying within $15.00 a week for groceries. You might know this is a one-person household, so I try not to overcook, but I still end up with leftovers!

Now most people would look into my fridge and say, "There's nothing in there!". But, I see three eggs; two good for egg salad sandwiches (using some of the bread in the freezer); one for in a small bowl of potato salad (using up several potatoes, celery, onion, mayo and pickle). There's some green cabbage in the crisper. Boring? Well...I see tender cabbage, carrots, potato, green beans and kielbasa, all steamed together and dressed with some butter, salt and pepper.

There's that bowl of leftover chili/taco soup. All it needs is a little rice, some more tomato sauce (use up that last bit of home canned tomatoes) and some grated cheddar.

There's some ground beef in the freezer; oh, maybe a third of a pound. This will be a cheeseburger.

There's that chunk of brie cheese. Hmm...a grilled cheese with brie? Maybe topped with a little bit of diced walnuts toasted with butter and brown sugar?

There's that opened jar of pasta sauce. I've got lots of pasta and spaghetti in the pantry, so that's pretty straightforward.

Just found a small bag of dark turkey meat from Thanksgiving. Turkey salad for sandwiches.

It's not that I can't get more groceries, I just am having this urge to USE IT UP before I buy any more.

Please tell me someone on here can identify. Big Smile

hugs,

bw

p.s. I can think of about 10-20 more things, but don't want to bore you to tears! 

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
    Filed under:
  • 01-06-2011 7:05 PM In reply to

Re: Getting really serious about using my leftovers.

You're not alone ...we've been making an effort to use up the leftovers, too. (unfortunately, I still have to go to the store for odds and ends...)

And I think you're really creative in how you're looking at those leftovers.  Brie in grilled cheese sounds really decadent!

Hey, I think we need a thread  ... a leftovers challenge! 

• 01-06-2011 7:16 PM In reply to

lol you need much less food for just yourself.   lately I fondly remember the days when it was just me and the cats and my budget was way less.

We need to be better with leftovers!  threw out way too much stuff in the last few days with old bread, etc.  because of the family not eating that much and being picky.

so using up groceries is a big thing!   big budget saver.     I have things that need using and some to check to see if they are ok.  but I think I got most of the old stuff or expired out of the fridge. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 01-06-2011 7:51 PM In reply to

I am really working on the leftovers too. Now, it is only DH and I to eat. He is rarely home for lunch. Last year, I was feeding my MOm. MIL sometimes, 3 daycare boys 3 evening s a week. There were never any leftovers other than a bit for my lunch. Last weeks ham, was cooked two times with potatoes, in split pea soup, one breakfast with eggs and in a pot of great northern beans. THis week it is pork roast. Last night with baked potatoes, tonight it was rice.  I told DH we could have a ham week, a beef week, chicken week and a pork week. At least one meal a week of beans or mac and cheese. Any other leftovers in the freezer for my lunch later.I dont want to shop this month except for milk. Although DH was complaining about no diet soda. lol Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 01-06-2011 7:58 PM In reply to

I do have an out in that my leftovers can be frozen for work lunches ... but there are still bits to use up.  For instance, we just finished off the last of the cabbage and potatoes that went with New Year's corned beef. 

• 01-06-2011 8:04 PM In reply to

• Momof2
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Florida
    • Posts 990

budgetwise:

It's not that I can't get more groceries, I just am having this urge to USE IT UP before I buy any more.

I have that same urge, for not only my leftovers, but also things in my pantries and freezers. I plan on still picking up fresh items, but this year I am going to try to use up some of the surplus items in my home stock.

Shannon
  • 01-06-2011 8:23 PM In reply to

I don't want to discourage anyone from keeping a well-stocked pantry, especially those of you with children. We all know food prices will continue to rise this year. The only unknown is how much.

My personal challange is just to use up what I already have cooked. After all...that's why I saved it in the first place, right? To use it up later. Well Big Smile, my 'later' is now.

But...when I'm done, I will definitely get more. Only in smaller amounts.

I think I still just plain cook too much. That's another personal challenge for myself: cut back on the amount I make in the first place.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 01-06-2011 8:55 PM In reply to

I agree.  I want my food bill under better control.  It's about better planning -- including nights of just eating leftovers and me being better about taking leftovers to work every single day they are available.  I did good this week, but there is still room for improvement.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 01-06-2011 9:06 PM In reply to

We need to keep up the Food Waste Friday, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 01-06-2011 9:14 PM In reply to

babs:

We need to keep up the Food Waste Friday, Babs

Babs, please refresh our memories (or, in my case, please enlighten) on what Food Waste Friday is.

thanks,

bw

budgetwise

Page 1 of 8 (71 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us