Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Preventing freezer burn with Angel Food items?

Last post Mon, Jan 17 2011 10:57 AM by Brandy. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 29 2010 12:19 PM

Preventing freezer burn with Angel Food items?

Hello I am so thankful for Angel foods. I buy 4 reg. boxes a month for a family of 3 and and it feeds us all month. One problem I have is the packaging is not the best and some foods end up freezer burned before I can use them up. How can I prevent this? 

Thanks

• Wed, Dec 29 2010 12:23 PM In reply to

Re: Preventing freezer burn with Angel Food items?

I've never had a box but would suggest some type of rewrapping if their wrapping does not prevent issues.  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Wed, Dec 29 2010 12:33 PM In reply to

I agree.  Try putting into freezer bags or invest in one of those doohickies that vacuum seals the food.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Dec 29 2010 1:00 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

bambinachristina:
    One problem I have is the packaging is not the best and some foods end up freezer burned before I can use them up

Are you using all the food within the month? I have not purchased AF in awhile but when I did, I could keep it for months and not have trouble usually. 

As others have said, you can put it into storage bags or the like.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Dec 29 2010 1:12 PM In reply to

I am very new to freezing and saving. I am going to go to the store and buy several gallon sized good freezer bags. That I can reuse, I am going to try and get all the air out and maybe even use some freezer wrap on some items. This is a good idea and will only be a one time cost but may save my foods.;0)

I don't not end up using all the foods in a month. There is always left overs. So I think I need to find a way to reseal what I am buying.;0)

Thanks

• Wed, Dec 29 2010 3:25 PM In reply to

Some of the more recent boxes have had items that were pretty loose in their bags, so I can see where there'd be danger of freezer burns (the beef patties come to mind).  If you don't rewrap them, use those items first.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Wed, Jan 12 2011 8:24 PM In reply to

I have never had a problem with freezer burn with any of the AF items, even when I don't use them up the same month. The only thing i worried about this month was the beef steak patties, I just made sure I used them up before other beef items. 

Actually now that I think of it the bags of chicken breasts they gave last spring got some freezer burn on them. That was only because they were nasty and I left them in the freezer forever! LOL 

~Amanda~
    http://notpoorly.blogspot.com/
  • Mon, Jan 17 2011 10:57 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

kissesmomof4:
    That was only because they were nasty and I left them in the freezer forever!

Anything that stays in the freezer forever will get nasty.   Wink

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us