Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Electric Use on a Heater

Last post Sun, Jan 2 2011 10:08 PM by 3-dog family. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 28 2010 2:27 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Electric Use on a Heater

A reader has a question on the use of a heater. Can you help?

I am in the processing of ordering a energy saving space heater for my home. I would need around 1000 feet for the kitchen, living room area . I live in the South but the nights can get pretty chilly.  My  current electric bill statement indicates: days of service-33, total KWH -822, avg. KWH/day 24 cost per day $2.77 for Nov.2010. I am looking at purchasing one of the EP Heater 1483 watts advertisted on TV. However, my concern how much electricity will it take to run it. How do I calculate electric usage?
    HELP.  Please.
    Brenda

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:17 PM In reply to

Re: Electric Use on a Heater

There are sites on the Web if she Googles it, but they give formulae for calculating cost, which are kind of complicated. I think her best bet would be to call her electric company and give them the specs on the heater. A friend of mine uses an oil circulation one (electric) and says she pays about $30 a month in electric, but saves an enormous amount on fuel oil.

• Sun, Jan 2 2011 10:08 PM In reply to

Re: Electric Use on a Heater

At 1483 Watts the heater will be drawing 12.4 Amps, which is a lot, so if she has a toaster or something similar on that same circuit she may find that it trips the circuit breaker.  (1483 Watts = 120 Volts x 12.4 Amps)

1)  Divide by 1,000.  (1483 Watts = 1.483 kW)

2) Multiply kW by expected # of monthly hourse useage for kWh.  Example:  1.483 kW x 40 hours/month = 59.32 kWh/month

3) Multiply monthly kWh by cost of energy.  Example:  59.32 kWh/mo x $0.12/kWh = $7.12/mo

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us