Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Seed catalog orders

Last post Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:09 PM by cheapskate50. 53 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (54 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 25 2010 7:00 PM

Seed catalog orders

The fist of my new seed catalogs has arrived. Now I get o inventory what seeds I have so I can choose wha I will order. How do you determine which ones you acually need?  AM

• Sat, Dec 25 2010 8:06 PM In reply to

Re: Seed catalog orders

I pretty much grow the same things.  I keep any extra seeds with my gardening stuff, so I just look at that stash and go from there.

Can't wait to get the first catalog!  Makes spring seem that much closer.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Tue, Dec 28 2010 8:38 PM In reply to

The Stark Bros. catalogue arrived yesterday, and the Burpee & Gurneys catalogues came today. My Gardener's Supply catalogue also came. 

I also save leftover seeds & have had good luck with germination.  I inventory what I have, & pick up whatever I need.  This year I will need carrot seeds, & plan to try some pole beans at the back of the raised bed by the fence - either Kentucky Wonder or Blue Lake - I haven't decided yet.  I want to plant Ozark strawberries in the strawberry bed extension, & I think I will probably get those from Stark, since I will be ordering a dwarf Red Haven peach tree and a 2 in 1 semidwarf cherry tree from them. I also need a couple more Red Lake currants, & since Stark does not carry those, I will get them from Gurneys.

If I can "rescue" a couple of "real" Christmas trees from the curb before they are picked up, I will chop the needles & twigs up to help acidify the soil where I want to plant blueberries. (The trunks & larger branches will go on the wood pile)  The soil & the rain here in Utah is alkaline, so I am actively amending the plot where I would like to put one high bush blueberry, as well as a small plot where I could fit 2 of the "half-high" plants.  Unless I can acidify the soil sufficiently, I see no point in ordering blueberry plants yet, since they will just die.  From the research I have done thus far, it seems the "no-cost" option to acidify the soil is to add as many dried pine needles as I can gather (lucky it is Christmas, huh!), and possibly some coffee grounds, if I can find someone to give them to me.  Planting is at least 5 months away at this point, so time is on my side. I prefer not to use the sulfur option, since it kills the beneficial soil microbes.

I plan to order another set of the red tomato ladders, since they worked so well for me last year.

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:19 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

My Gurneys catalog arrived. There is a coupon for $25 off a $50 order so a good deal if you are ordering from them. I have a few things that I will order. I want a cherry tree, will order potatoes  maybe another grape vine. The tree would be close to the $25 so will just add up to $50 and use the coupon. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:32 PM In reply to

zohnerfarms:

From the research I have done thus far, it seems the "no-cost" option to acidify the soil is to add as many dried pine needles as I can gather (lucky it is Christmas, huh!), and possibly some coffee grounds, if I can find someone to give them to me.  

If you need large quantities of coffee grounds, Starbucks is a good place to check ...   the ones in my area usually have a bucket that holds packages of grounds, free for the taking. If not, the baristas could probably tell you when they have some available. 

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:44 PM In reply to

Allll right!!????? time for the herb stuff again those seeds are great.

chrissanne
  • Tue, Dec 28 2010 11:59 PM In reply to

LWolfT:
    If you need large quantities of coffee grounds, Starbucks is a good place to check ...   the ones in my area usually have a bucket that holds packages of grounds, free for the taking. If not, the baristas could probably tell you when they have some available. 

My city does not have a Starbucks, but I googled, & there is one close to the Walmart in the next town over.  I will have to check the next time I am headed south with DH to buy oil.  Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't been thinking in terms of commercial, just neighborhood!

My city does Christmas tree pickup curbside Jan 3-14.  It shouldn't be difficult to get a couple of trees, & even less difficult to let them dry out on top of a tarp until the needles fall off.  

• Wed, Dec 29 2010 5:40 PM In reply to

zohnerfarms:

My city does not have a Starbucks, but I googled, & there is one close to the Walmart in the next town over.  I will have to check the next time I am headed south with DH to buy oil.  Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't been thinking in terms of commercial, just neighborhood!

No Starbucks?  How did that happen? LOL!  In my city, they're practically on every other corner.

Anyway, since you have to travel a bit, you might want to call ahead to ask about grounds ... no need to waste a trip.  Or if there's another coffee shop in your area, you could check with them ..

• Wed, Dec 29 2010 6:00 PM In reply to

LWolfT:
    No Starbucks?  How did that happen? LOL!  In my city, they're practically on every other corner.

There are a ton of them in Salt Lake, but not down in my neck of the woods.  Probably has something to do with the LDS not drinking coffee - - I think it would be hard to stay in business if there were very many of them.

Has anyone ever grown lingonberries?  According to one of my catalogues, they have the same basic requirements as blueberries, but do well in partial sun, unlike blueberries which like full sun.  I was thinking of planting a couple under the highbush blueberry, since they both need acid soil & lingonberries only get 12-18" high. 

• Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:19 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Does the hospital have a cafe that might have coffee grounds, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 6 (54 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us