Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Decorating inexpensively

Last post 12-24-2010 6:11 PM by Becky. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-24-2010 3:37 AM

Decorating inexpensively

Partly due to frugality , but also due to frequent moves and lack of storage space, I learned to maximize color. Some items are simple to keep and put to multiple uses. Napkins, plates, candles and simple vases come to mind. Red is useful at Christmas, Valentine's, Fourth of July, and in the fall. Green is good for Christmas and St. Pat's. Purple can be use in fall, at Easter, and at Christmas (think Advent). Pink is good in spring, for Valentine's, and for Advent. White, crystal and the metal of your choosing can be good any time. I use lots of white in summer. How would you expand on this idea? AM

• 12-24-2010 12:18 PM In reply to

Re: Decorating inexpensively

I have placemats in red, white, orange & blue. My napkins in red, blue & white. My tablecloths are white lace (3) & one solid green check.  I have quite a few candleholders, & maintain a supply of candles in red, green, white & blue. 

I also have some small seasonal decorations that fit on my bookshelves in front of the books - pumpkin & pilgrims for Thanksgiving, an apple for the patriotic holiday, lamb for Easter, nativities for Christmas, etc.

I have a plastic box slightly larger than a shoebox for each holiday.  January has 1 box, Valentines has 2 boxes, St Pat's has one, Easter has 1, the patriotic holidays share one, Thanksgiving has 2 & Christmas has 3

January is blue & white with snowflakes (we have 4 birthdays in January)

Valentines is red & white

St. Pat's is green & white

Easter is white & green with lamb accents

Bastille Day, 4th of July & Pioneer Day are all red, white & blue

Thanksgiving is white with orange placemats & pine cone accents

Christmas is red or white candles, with green & white table linens, also with pine cone accents

• 12-24-2010 1:23 PM In reply to

Zohner, it seems that you and I often think similarly. Glad to have found a like-minded one.  AM

• 12-24-2010 3:48 PM In reply to

very creative!   I admit I get seasonal paper napkins and cheap tablecloths because of the kids.  have a flannel backed pointettia tablecloth from the dollar store on the table and merry xmas paper napkins!

I have nice tablecloths...white and gold plaid style for fancy..xmas, valentines,   a white lace one,  fall ones but unless I put it out just for the meal they don't stay nice.   

we only have one table .dining room..kitchen not big enough for a table.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 12-24-2010 5:40 PM In reply to

MarthaMFI:
    we only have one table .dining room..kitchen not big enough for a table.

I only have one table, too.  Small kitchen, separated from the "dining room" by a counter.  

All 3 of my white tablecloths are lace; 2 from the store & one hand crocheted when the kids were small.

• 12-24-2010 6:11 PM In reply to

I tend to keep my decorating limited to table cloths, napkins, and candles and placemats. I have gold table cloths and matching napkins for Christmas, Thanksgiving and any other fancy occasion. I have a hand embroidered floral table cloth for spring, I have several sets of coordinating placemats. My china is white with a silver rim...purchased at Target 10 years ago for 9.99 per set, I have 3 sets. When the Mikasa outlet closed three years ago I bought serving bowls, gravy boats and such on clearance for literally cents on the dollar. They look like my set of china from Target. Same decorative pattern, and they dress up the table. Everything I have can be used for any occasion, from holiday party, to engagment party or small wedding reception. However we are more of a buffett and barbeque family than a sit down formal dinner type.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us