Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Fixing a broken window blind

Last post Mon, Dec 27 2010 8:20 PM by LWolfT. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 22 2010 8:37 PM

Fixing a broken window blind

Has anyone ever mended a broken mini blind support with super glue? 

The 1" mini blind on the center section of my bay window broke the last time DH tried to raise the blinds.  Several inches of the top portion of the blind that fits into the support brackets on either side of the window broke off on the side where the hardware to raise, lower & adjust the angle of the blinds is located.  I found the part that broke off, & am still looking for another little section that is missing in action.  When I find it, I intend to try using Krazy glue to mend it.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from you experienced "fixers" out there.

• Wed, Dec 22 2010 9:24 PM In reply to

Re: Fixing a broken window blind

How much stress will the mended part have to withstand?  I might suggest reinforcing the glued area with a bit of clear (or even color vinyl) tape if it wouldn't be too noticable.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, Dec 22 2010 9:37 PM In reply to

if all fails I use murph's law alot in the avation flied well I make fun of murphys law if all fails take a baseball bat and kill it or really fail after that drown it and flush down the toilet..

Zoher farms take it in the store you baught it from to see what manufacture it came from go on line to see if you can order the part thats how I had to fix mine beats buying the whole thing.

Those puppies are expensive.

• Thu, Dec 23 2010 1:32 AM In reply to

LWolfT:
    How much stress will the mended part have to withstand?  I might suggest reinforcing the glued area with a bit of clear (or even color vinyl) tape if it wouldn't be too noticable.

It will have to take quite a bit of stress, since the top rail is what broke, & that supports the weight of the blinds.  I cannot just go buy another set.  We bought the blinds at WalMart & Kmart when we purchased this house in 2006.  Neither store carries mini blinds wider than 39" now, & this blind is 47" wide.  Krazy glue is a generic super glue, so I thought before I pay for custom made blinds on all 3 sections of the bay window, I would try to fix it.

• Thu, Dec 23 2010 1:34 AM In reply to

cheapChic:

Zoher farms take it in the store you baught it from to see what manufacture it came from go on line to see if you can order the part thats how I had to fix mine beats buying the whole thing.

Those puppies are expensive.

CC, neither Kmart or Walmart sells these blinds anymore. They only carry the narrow ones, and this one is 47" wide.

• Thu, Dec 23 2010 5:27 PM In reply to

zohnerfarms:

It will have to take quite a bit of stress, since the top rail is what broke, & that supports the weight of the blinds.  I cannot just go buy another set.  We bought the blinds at WalMart & Kmart when we purchased this house in 2006.  Neither store carries mini blinds wider than 39" now, & this blind is 47" wide.  Krazy glue is a generic super glue, so I thought before I pay for custom made blinds on all 3 sections of the bay window, I would try to fix it.

I understand .. it's certainly worth a try.  I was just suggesting that it might help to reinforce the glued section with some tape (if its feasable).   

(if it can't be fixed ... try checking online for blinds in that width ... saw that Amazon had some, though I don't know if that's what you're looking for, or if it's in your price range.)

• Thu, Dec 23 2010 6:15 PM In reply to

LWolfT:

I understand .. it's certainly worth a try.  I was just suggesting that it might help to reinforce the glued section with some tape (if its feasable).   

(if it can't be fixed ... try checking online for blinds in that width ... saw that Amazon had some, though I don't know if that's what you're looking for, or if it's in your price range.)

I looked on Amazon. If the fix does not work, they do have the vinyl blinds in the width I need, but they also have a sponsored link for 1" aluminum blinds - - which I cannot buy locally, but would much prefer, as they hold up MUCH better. Thanks!

• Thu, Dec 23 2010 9:40 PM In reply to

Oh crap!!?? usally they sell those sucker for about 5 years then change huh hmmmm didn't know that I know what you mean I got to repair a curtain they donnot carry the insulated curtains any more so like you said a super glue thing or a needle and thread and have at it...

• Thu, Dec 23 2010 9:43 PM In reply to

Lwoft don't they amazon carry a blade for the blinds that way the blind to be repaired that way or is it better to fix it like you said earlier.?????

• Thu, Dec 23 2010 11:31 PM In reply to

cheapChic:

Lwoft don't they amazon carry a blade for the blinds that way the blind to be repaired that way or is it better to fix it like you said earlier.?????

Well, you got me to thinking ... seems they do sell mini-blind parts.  On the other hand, trying to replace a top rail might be a pain -- if she could find the right part.  Cost might be a consideration, too.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us