Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Natural, Homemade Flea killer

Last post 11-03-2013 12:39 AM by bekkahm. 47 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-05-2011 11:04 AM In reply to

Re: Natural, Homemade Flea killer

If you have wood floors with cracks, make sure you vaccuum them first before mopping with Pine-Sol. It took me a few weeks to figure that one out last year, and the fleas and eggs were in the cracks between boards. Once I did that, the salt on my two area rugs, boric acid under cushions and under the rug, and mopping with pine sol worked quickly.

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • 06-18-2011 5:40 PM In reply to

Don't you have to worry about the animals licking up the salt while it sits?? I'm really having a problem with fleas on my 3 dogs & 3 cats and want to use something cheap and natural to get rid of the fleas and this looks like a good idea for the carpets.

• 06-23-2011 8:19 PM In reply to

The vet tech at our vet's office said that our area is having the worst summer for flea she's ever witnessed. Their office keeps running out of stock of most flea treatments, and their phones keep ringing. Our vet and vet tech are dear people, and they realize that most folks in this area don't have much in the way of money but do want to do well by their animals. So, they are helping people be creative. The tip that has worked best for our large, long haired cat is to bathe him regularly with Dawn dish soap. (Because of his thick, long coat, I haven't had as much success with regularly using a flea comb as I used to with shorter haired cats years ago.) Dawn is cheap, and it can be used far more often than the expensive flea shampoos. And, it works better! Lather the cat up well and let the soap sit in the fur for a few minutes. Than, rinse the cat thoroughly. Rinse very, very, very well. Afterward, it is safe for the cat to lick himself. While our beloved cat is very angry (oh, the woeful eyes and meows of I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU BATHED ME! betrayal) at us over all the baths, we are finding 80+% fewer fleas on him. We just make sure to bathe him often enough to keep up with new hatch outs of fleas. Minimizing the fleas on the critter is helping with the seemingly never ending battle of fighting the fleas in the house. And, I'm so glad I found this thread because I have new weaponry to try in that fight! I don't like all the ice, snow, cold wind, and heating expense that comes with each winter, but I am looking forward to freezing out all the fleas in a few months!
  • 06-23-2011 8:31 PM In reply to

Montana idahoe and east washington bug country gee my babies dive undercover or run for the hills ok I was told to put breweryeast in the diet for the pets and skin so soft oil on bare tummys of them and on us bugs off or cutters that I do have and skin so soft on bare legs Im the one gotten bitten alive in az I am still trying to wait for the bump to go away  I didn't no noseams do this type of damage...

• 07-06-2011 2:36 AM In reply to

diatomaceous, check locally to see where the feed grade stuff is sold, as a example of its effects to a neighbor i have eaten the stuff its actually good for you and my cats eat it, ill have to get some more tomarrow as having problems again just not enough coverage, it makes a great foot powder as it tends to dry the feet a bit too, just dont breath it not that it will really hurt you but it drys out the lungs like any dust, ( i remember the old baseball diamond dust chocked on and it was a pain on the eyes) dont put this stuff in your eyes ive had a bit here and there in my eyes its a agravator but the stuff is wonderful, from what i am understanding feed the girls a few tablets of garlic everyday and spray 50/50 green rubbing alcohol on body parts that wont get in the eyed on them to dry too between that and the diatomaceous earth on the carpet for say about a week it should solve the problem basicly i dose the whole house with the diatomaceous and vaccum about 7 days later anything that needs it understuff that is not disturbed alot i just just leave the stuff as long as its dry it should work         Hope this helps Hank

• 08-12-2011 11:03 AM In reply to

YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO USE DOKTOR DOOM (OR ANOTHER FOGGER), AND THEN DIATOMACEOUS EARTH.

IN CANADA WE CAN'T PURCHASE FOGGERS BUT IN THE US I THINK YOU CAN - LOOK FOR ONE THAT CONTAINS PIPERONYL BUTOXIDE.  SET OFF AT LEAST ONE FOGGER PER FLOOR (EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE CARPET IN THE AREA). EVERY PLACE IN YOUR HOME WILL NOW BE INFESTED, BECAUSE THE FLEAS THAT RESIDED IN THE CARPET HAVE NOW  TAKEN UP RESIDENCE IN YOUR CLOTHES, AND EVERY OTHER PIECE OF FURNITURE.  SO: SET OFF THE FOGGER(S), AND TURN ON SOME FANS TO CIRCULATE THE POISON PROPERLY.  LEAVE THE HOUSE FOR 12 - 24 HOURS.  MEANWHILE, WASH ALL OF YOUR CLOTHES....THIS SOUNDS LIKE A PAIN BUT BELIEVE ME, IT'S NECESSARY, OR YOU'LL JUST HAVE A RE-INFESTATION WITHIN 2 WEEKS. 

WHEN YOU RETURN, VACUUM VIGOROUSLY, EVERYWHERE.  PUT DOWN DIATOMACEOUS EARTH - SPRINKLE GENEROUSLY INTO THE CARPET, THE SOFT FURNISHINGS AND FABRICS, AND SPRINKLE OVER THE FLOORS, ESP IN THE BASEBOARDS, CUPBOARDS, CRACKS AND CREVICES.  THIS WILL HOPEFULLY GET THE REMAINING FLEA EGGS - THOSE ARE NOT KILLED BY THE FOG.  HOWEVER, YOU MAY STILL NEED TO RETREAT (REFOG) THE HOUSE IN 2 WEEKS, BECAUSE THE FLEAS' LIFE CYCLE IS ABOUT 2 WEEKS. (THE REMAINING EGGS WILL HATCH AND LEAVE YOU WITH MORE FLEAS STARTING TWO WEEKS AFTER YOUR FOG TREATMENT, SO IF THAT HAPPENS, REFOG, AND THEN VACUUM, AND USE MORE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH.)

I TRULY SYMPATHIZE. I HAD AN AWFUL PROBLEM WITH FLEAS -  I RESCUED A CAT FROM ANIMAL CONTROL, AND THE LITTLE GUY HAD A MAJOR PROBLEM. FIRST HE PROVED TO BE DIFFICULT TO TOILET TRAIN - HE POOPED EVERYWHERE, LEAVING DIARRHEAL MOVEMENTS BEHIND MY COUCH, AND SCATTERED THROUGHOUT MY HOME. I WAS TRYING TO TOILET TRAIN HIM WHEN LO AND BEHOLD....HE WAS CARRYING FLEAS!! HE APPARENTLY HAD EGGS ON HIM WHEN HE CAME FROM THE SHELTER. THEY HATCHED AND INFESTED MY HOME - BUT THEY LIKED ME BETTER THAN HIM!  LIKE YOUR CHILDREN, I WOULD WAKE ITCHING, WITH BITES EVERYWHERE. I'M ILL, WITH A BROKEN BACK AND A BONE PROBLEM WHICH HAS LEFT ME WITH NUMEROUS NON-HEALING FRACTURES, SO I'M BEDRIDDEN ....AND I GOT BITTEN DAY AND NIGHT.  I WAS AT MY WITS' END. I HAD A FRIEND WHO WAS A FORMER PEST CONTROL EXPERT, WHO FOGGED MY HOME.  IT WORKED FOR ABOUT 7-10 DAYS, AND THEN I WAS AGAIN INFESTED.  I WAS JUMPING OUT OF MY SKIN.  I DIDN'T HAVE ACCESS TO DIATOMACEOUS EARTH - I HAVE NO FAMILY, NO ONE TO HELP ME GET THINGS FROM A STORE. SO I FINALLY RESORTED TO PAYING FOR SOMEONE TO COME IN AND TREAT THE PLACE. THE PEST CONTROL GUY QUOTED ME $125, BUT THEN HE DID THE JOB AND CHARGED ME $176.  I WAS BESIDE MYSELF. IF YOU GET SOMEONE TO COME IN, HAVE THEM GIVE YOU A PRICE IN WRITING!

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS.

• 02-25-2012 12:17 AM In reply to

Is this safe for babies? Sounds good,, but I don't want to compromise my kids health.

ipad case

• 04-20-2012 2:49 PM In reply to

Harm to Humans Golden Harvest Organics states that diatomaceous earth powder used as a pesticide is safe for humans and other organisms. They recommend, however, the use of a dust mask when applying the powder to prevent inhalation. When inhaled, the powder can irritate the mucous membranes, such as the nose and mouth. LowchensAustralia.com describes the safe use of diatomaceous earth powder both externally and internally in animals. They do caution that the powder can be drying to the feet and hands of humans and other animals. They further caution that pool grade diatomaceous earth should never be used with animals, as it is poisonous. Read more: Is Diatomaceous Earth Harmful? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6571034_diatomaceous-earth-harmful_.html#ixzz1sbl6F1ka
    hmof
  • 08-04-2012 1:01 PM In reply to

Anyone have any idea of what kind of stores would sell the DE?
  • 08-04-2012 3:33 PM In reply to

• cgan
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 08-08-2011
    • Connecticut
    • Posts 13

I got mine at the Tractor Supply Company in Connecticut.  I'm sure you can get it at any farm store, as it's added to animal feed.  Just make sure you get the food grade version. 
    Carol
Page 3 of 5 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us