Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Natural, Homemade Flea killer

Last post 11-03-2013 12:39 AM by bekkahm. 47 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-26-2007 11:14 AM

• jen1981
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Central TX
    • Posts 3

Natural, Homemade Flea killer

The house we've just recently moved into has only one room with carpet (my kids' room) but it is infested with fleas. My kids (3 and 5) wake up everymorning itching and covered in bites.  Any ideas on a safe but effective flea killer for carpet?

• 10-27-2007 6:21 AM In reply to

• debojo98
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • south western new york
    • Posts 12

Re: Natural, Homemade Flea killer

You can shampoo with carpet(that will kill some of them), vaccum, vaccum, vaccum(everyday) and make sure you change your bagor  empty your container (if you have a baggless) and seal it up and don't leave it in the house until you can dispose of it,  Also you can sprinkle some borax on the carpet and rub it in (the borax will cut the fleas and they will die---every week or some).  Also remember to wash (in HOT water) all bedding and curtains (treat the fleas like lice),  Good luck!

Deb

• 10-27-2007 11:06 AM In reply to

Put a flea collar in the vacuum bag too to kill the fleas. There is something I have heard of but haven't needed to try.  Put a shallow pan of soapy water on the floor with a lamp over it at night time (no other lights). Fleas are attracted to the light and jump in the water.  Search the dollar stretcher articles for info. I am sure they have something.

My Family's Interests
  • 11-07-2007 9:20 AM In reply to

• lizl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-22-2007
    • Posts 10

Get to your local feed store and buy diatomaceous earth.  It is fed to cattle to kill internal bugs.  I had a flea infestation with the addition of two visiting cats and this stuff worked.  Spread it all around the house and on the beds (after removing the sheets, etc.)   Vaccum it up after a while.   It is also very cheap if you get it in bulk.  I paid about $5 for 10 lbs.  Don't put it in your garden though as it will slice right through earthworms.  Works well with all hard shelled bugs!
  • 11-08-2007 6:57 PM In reply to

• aaaekle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-30-2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 5

sprinkle some salt on the carpets, and on furniture, let it set for about 2 days, then vaccuum and put down more salt.  We had this problem a couple of summers ago and a neighbor told us about the salt and it worked.  Was cheap too! 

• 07-06-2009 5:29 AM In reply to

• Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-06-2009
    • Posts 1

Thank you so much, for the idea of sprinkling salt on carpets, and letting it sit for 2 days before vacuuming it up, was great killed all the fleas   Worked great, gone in 2 days like you said, and didn't have to leave my place.   Wish I had of know of this years ago, thank you so much.

• 07-06-2009 9:34 AM In reply to

IS THIS TABLE SALT?  PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I HAVE A FLEA PROBLEM.  I'LL TRY ANYTHING.

• 07-28-2009 4:18 PM In reply to

• Kilena
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-28-2009
    • Posts 1

Table salt does work too.Also try using lavender oil on beding and couches too.use a spray bottle and mix the lavender and alittle water to repel them.Also try on your pets critus. Take 1 grapefruit,2 limes,2 lemons.cut them up all of it.put them into a pot with a half of pot of water boil.then let it cool off strain the mix into a bowl.take a spray bottle and use it on the couches,pets,yourself,ect to repel them.The mix should last up to 7 days then make a new patch.you can also use fresh garlic to (if you can get your pet to take alittle each day.Put it in something they like to eat.it should repel the fleas too.

• 08-12-2009 3:42 PM In reply to

The diatomaceous earth, is is safe for children to walk on?? I have 2 little girls 2 & 1 years old, the youngest is the reason why I am in a hurry to do this... She seems to wake up every morning with over 20 NEW flea bites, her being so young, she tends to scratch regardless of the Caladryl that I put on her all the time. I have used flea bomb after flea bomb & have tried various other tricks. We don't have any pets, just my girls, my husband, & I. I vacuum excessively & constantly empty out the container... I am at a loss & am willing to try anything but I need to know if this is safe for my children... I plan to vacuum it up but I don't want to miss a spot & they accidently get into it... I need to know as well, do I need to sprinkle it under furniture & all that & how long do I need to leave it on the carpet?? Please help!!

• 08-12-2009 3:46 PM In reply to

I forgot to mention stuffed animals, my daughters have bukus of them & not all can fit in the washing machine... What can I do with them to keep the fleas from finding refuge in them?

Page 1 of 5 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us