Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Cheap Snacks

Last post 12-13-2010 6:52 PM by ellencee. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-06-2010 10:02 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cheap Snacks

The $10 a day for meals discussion has several worried about snacks. Martha mentioned that there are frugal snack ideas. I agree with the concerned posters, a snack can be important for growing children and active adults and I think Martha is right as well.

What are some of your frugal snack ideas?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 12-06-2010 11:36 PM In reply to

• ogram
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-19-2010
    • Posts 99

Re: Cheap Snacks

We snack on sunflower seeds (in the shell).  About 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds ends up being a serving by the time you get rid of the shells and they take a long time for us to eat.  We purchase ours, but have grown sunflowers in the past and roasted our own seeds.  You can control the salt better that way.  We have talked about raising some sunflowers again next growing seasons for our snacking enjoyment.

• 12-07-2010 12:09 AM In reply to

Boy is this ever a big topic at our house. Since we've been getting back to living with a smaller food budget, we have really been scratching our heads about snacks. DH loves a crunchy snack in the evening, and he used to eat pistachios-- the last time we went to Sams Club he noticed how much the bag cost and he told me to put it back. Ever since, the evening snack thing has been..... interesting. And not at all very healthy. To be honest I am thinking of just going back to buying the pistachios for him, because the alternative is turning into potato chips. We need to watch where our pennies go, but I don't want his health to go totally down the drain.
    SAHM to 2 toddlers and 2 cats! Happily married to my soul mate! How could life get any better!?!
  • 12-07-2010 12:20 AM In reply to

Crackers and jelly, pb (if you're not having it for lunch, too, lol), banana, banana blended w/milk, macaroni, pasta, egg salad, popcorn, bowl of oatmeal, raisins, hard-boiled eggs, joghurt (Aldi's has plain quarts for $1.59, small cups for 45c), pretzels, cold cereal (again, Aldi's has good prices on this e.g., cornflakes 18 oz/$1.29). Cheese melted on slice of bread (Price Chopper cheese on sale $2/10 oz, 20c/one-ounce serving).

Seems as if almost any breakfast food would do, too. Home-made soups, a couple of cookies and milk. Actually, almost any food in a small amount will do.

• 12-07-2010 8:02 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

One of our favorites is homemade popcorn. Another I do fairly often is yellow cake with cinnamon sprinkled in, I serve it with no frosting.

We also have fruits, crackers and cheese on hand for snacking.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 12-07-2010 12:12 PM In reply to

Popcorn, pretzels, fresh vegatables with dip, quesadillas with salsa, homemade tortilla chips with salsa.

Graham crackers with whipped topping, peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter thinned with milk and powdered sugar mixed together then sandwich between crackers.  Or you can use them to dip up pudding or applesauce.

Hardboiled eggs.

For those in cold climates hot soup, hot apple cider, tea, hot cocoa.

Normally oranges, apples and bananas are pretty cheap.  A tablespoon of peanut butter with the fruit can help you feel full.

When I was growing up a holiday treat was an orange with a peppermint stick, candy cane.  You stick the peppermint into a hole at the top of the orange and suck on it like a straw.  The juice come up for an orange minty treat.

• 12-07-2010 12:24 PM In reply to

Bananas, apples and celery (with peanut butter), raisins, no-salt soda crackers (all my kids love them), yogurt (buy at 40 cents a carton or cheaper), pretzels, popcorn, instant pudding (for a sweet treat), bread and butter/peanut butter.

DH and I like all sorts of nuts: walnuts, peanuts, pecans, almonds. Not always cheap but a handful is satisfying. I like any and all cheeses so I buy on sale and eat a slice or two for a protein snack.

The boys can share a banana or an apple and that is really inexpensive. A 40 cent carton of yogurt is a good deal and healthy, too.

Erika
  • 12-07-2010 1:56 PM In reply to

most of the ideas listed are good.   really it comes down to how much work to you want to do lol.....I admit that I keep a snack bowl that I put granola bars, fruit snacks, fruit leather...all things like that in ind servings that I can use for packed lunches and that I can say go get something out of the snack bowl or get a juice box.  or a cheese string out of the fridge when I don't have time to go cut up something or pour juice for the kids.   there is always fruit out too for the kids to eat.  when there a playdate then I put out bowls of cut fruit, crackers, cheese etc.

we would eat popcorn a lot more but dh is allergic to the smell..triggers allergies and asthma.  so can only have it when he won't be home for hours.  

We also don't do dessert right after dinner , we wait an hour or so.  

hillbilly housewife and tightwad gazatte have good ideas for snacks.   cinnamon toast, dry cereal...veggies, fruit endless ideas.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 12-07-2010 5:03 PM In reply to

If you have rice chex or corn chex you can doctor it up for a simple 'chex mix'. You don't need all the nuts, pretzels, m & m candies, etc. Just dress it with some melted butter (margarine) and worcestershire sauce, or season to taste.

It's surprisingly good.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 12-08-2010 2:14 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we love popcorn . I  bake alot .  family loves cookies, cakes, pie .  I make 

the kids love apples with peanut butter and the kids love graham crackers with peanut butter ... or just plain 

I always try to have something for them .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us