Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Job Hunting Help Needed

Last post Tue, Dec 14 2010 10:16 AM by Brandy. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 2 2010 12:25 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Job Hunting Help Needed

A reader writes in to The Dollar Stretcher with an experience that many around the country are sharing; an experience some of us here have had. Are their answers, tips or words of comfort?

"I wonder if you have any job hunting tips. I have a college degree and long story short, I find myself working a low wage night job until something better comes along. Today, I had a bad experience: I'd been told to come in to the local Spherion employment agency to "interview" in house for what I thought was a career position. When I applied there, I made it clear I wanted a permanent career position and was NOT interested in the temp pool. When I got there this morning, this totally unprofessional receptionist had me fill out forms and then wanted me to view a safety video. When I questioned her, she admitted this was for the temp pool. I told her if I wanted to continue worknig for low wages, I could just stay in my present job, this was not what I wanted. She said "This is all we do." So I politely said "I won't waste any more of your time, then" and left. I was seething! How does one get oneself on the A list for the professional positions? Any ideas where to look for permanent jobs that pay a living wage?"

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Dec 2 2010 12:36 PM In reply to

Re: Job Hunting Help Needed

While I understand the poster's dismay, one of the ways to get into the "A list" for professional positions is to start in the temp pool; it allows the employer to see you work and get a feel for your work ethics and habits.  The door the poster shut by turning down the position described above will likely never open again.  A friend of mine got his dream job by applying with a variety of temp agencies that specialized in his area (computers) and was hired by a firm he wanted to work for through the temp agency; after several months of low wages and no benefits, the firm chose to offer him a permanent position, which he took - but had he been unwilling to work for low wages in the short term, he'd still be looking.  It's an employer's market, and having a college degree is no longer the guarantee to a career-track job that it used to be - starting in the temp pool or with a temp agency is a viable way to get a job in this market.
  • Thu, Dec 2 2010 12:46 PM In reply to

She may need to find another employment agency if she absolutely does not want temp work.  Here, most temp/employment agencies do mostly temp work which can turn into full-time employment. A good friend (with college degree) did apply for temp jobs and was sent out on several interviews. She specified (and the agency agreed) that she would only do professional or office type interviews.  Maybe this reader needs to find an agency that works with professional businesses/etc. In my city, some agencies are geared more for manual labor positions and some are geared more for administrative work, you just have to know which agency you need to use. The job my friend has now, paying $15 an hour, started out as a 8 week temp position at $12.75 per hour working in a bank doing loan application processing. The bank determined that it wanted a permanent employee in that position and since she was working there, they offered it to her. Now it is a permanent, full-time position with good salary and benefits and she is getting trained to do more than just admin work and processing.

Here at the state, many people are hired on full-time from the temp pool. It's a way for the agency to determine if there is a good fit. Most people who do the temp pool have a leg up over other outside applicants for the same job.

Hope she has good luck finding employment, the competition is fierce!

Erika
  • Fri, Dec 3 2010 4:22 PM In reply to

What type of college degree does this person have, and is the degree from an accredited institution?  To answer the question properly, we need this information. 

This reader isn't the first one to be mislead by a company seeking 'grunts.'  Their job is to get the best, most educated people for the lowest wage and many will resort to bullying and trickery to do it. Run fast!

• Fri, Dec 3 2010 4:38 PM In reply to

Brandy:
    I have a college degree and long story short, I find myself working a low wage night job until something better comes along.

Sadly, there are many people in similar situations. Given the high national unemployment figures, any job these days is a good job.

Brandy:
    When I applied there, I made it clear I wanted a permanent career position and was NOT interested in the temp pool.

You might not want to close the doors of opportunity. It may have been that the temp job would at least have better hours (day job instead of your current night job, for instance).

Brandy:
    How does one get oneself on the A list for the professional positions? Any ideas where to look for permanent jobs that pay a living wage?"

Many, many people are competing for few jobs these days. I think they're all asking the same question.

When I went back to college to get a more practical degree, I was told some sage words of advice: Even if you take a temp job, it will get your foot in the door of the "A list" companies. Just get in there, make a great impression to the powers that be, and then make yourself indispensable to the company. It may be that when the temporary job comes to an end, you'll have proven yourself a valuable employee that may be considered for a full-time job later.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Sun, Dec 5 2010 7:39 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

karenteacher:
    It's an employer's market, and having a college degree is no longer the guarantee to a career-track job that it used to be

I agree. I am seeing many who have spent quite a bit on college coming out and taking low wage jobs. There are too many willing to work and willing to work for less just to have some money. 

• Sun, Dec 5 2010 7:41 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

3-dog family:
    hat type of college degree does this person have, and is the degree from an accredited institution?

Those are good questions to ask. Not all things are equal, are they?

• Sun, Dec 5 2010 11:46 AM In reply to

• Walt34
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 17 2007
    • WV eastern panhandle
    • Posts 1,406

karenteacher:
    While I understand the poster's dismay, one of the ways to get into the "A list" for professional positions is to start in the temp pool; it allows the employer to see you work and get a feel for your work ethics and habits.

I could not agree more. This guy was unwise for slamming the door to a job. Everybody wants a part time job that pays six figures and doesn't involve much work, risk, or responsibility (if you find one, let me know!)

In his book What Color Is Your Parachute? Richard Bolles suggested that one way to get in the door is to volunteer, offering the proposition "I will work for free for six weeks. If at the end of that time you (the employer) think I'm not a good fit then I will walk away and that's the end of it. If it is a good fit, you pay me for the six weeks of work I did and I'm hired." The risk is that the employer will take advantage of you. The potential reward is that you have the opportunity to "show your stuff" and prove you're worth hiring.

I've mopped floors, cleaned bathrooms, and stocked shelves, so sorry, I just have no sympathy for anyone who thinks they are "too good" to do that or any other type of work that is "beneath them".

At the agency where DW worked, when a permanent full-time position did open up the first place they looked was at the pool of temp employees. One or two of them would be called aside and told "There is a position opening up soon. We can't promise anything, but we hope you will apply for it." The reason is not surprising; they had a pool of "known quantity/quality" people to choose from and as any manager knows a polished resume does not always result in a good employee. They'd much rather hire a known quantity.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Money Management
  • Sun, Dec 5 2010 3:59 PM In reply to

I have to agree so much with Walt said.  In the economic times we live in, specifically in regards to the higher levels of unemployment, it is unwise to burn bridges with anyone.  If you are called to an interview, you go and complete it.  You need to show from day 1 that you can at finish something you have started.  That does not mean that you have to take the job; you can always respectfully decline and explain that are already in a similar job and you want to show longevity until something more in line with your career path comes along.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sun, Dec 5 2010 8:20 PM In reply to

• Becky
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 23 2007
    • Posts 574

There are sites for "professionals". Many of them you have to subscribe to and they are not cheap. I know of one called "The Ladders". It is for people with professional and executive level skills. Unfortunately a college degree does not guarentee a quality placement. You can do research on line and find where "professional" types might look. And with the economy now there is a glut of people out there who are highly qualified and all of them want jobs that pay a living wage. With the economy the way it is now you may have to settle for "any port in a storm", while you keep looking for the deam job. My husband used to make a lot more than he does now. But when he was unemployed for more than a year, when a job offer came in, though it paid alot less, and was not actually in his field he took it..any port in a storm. It has allowed us to keep our home. And though money is tight, it is at least a job. Meanwhile he continues to look for other opportunities that better fit his skill set and former pay range. You just have to keep on looking, and do what you have to do.

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us