Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Ground Meat?

Last post 11-30-2010 9:32 AM by Lee. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-11-2010 3:49 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Ground Meat?

What are your favorite ground meat recipes or dishes using it?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 11-11-2010 4:06 PM In reply to

Re: Ground Meat?

My laziest one is to add some browned ground beef to pasta sauce (also bought on sale) and pour it over fresh pasta like ravioli. Then I top it with cheese (bought on sale). I bake it until it is bubbly. I watch for sales on fresh pasta.Inflation fighter

I also make chili.

I've seen recipes for soups with ground beef and pot pies with ground beef.

I try to buy it on sale, brown it, drain it, and freeze it for future meals.

I guess it shows that I learned to buy groceries on special.Wink Someone on another forum told me to buy chuck roasts on sale and cut it up for things like beef stew instead of buying stew beef. She was right and I met her in Home Cooking on about.com.

I used to make my own meatballs until the prices increased and I discovered a couple of good brands of frozen meatballs. Yes, I wait to buy them on sale.

• 11-11-2010 4:21 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Virginia Needlewoman:
    pot pies with ground beef.

I had a recipe for a meat pie with ground beef and cheese. I also have one for meat rolls.

A meat roll sounds good, yum.

• 11-11-2010 4:56 PM In reply to

Brandy, those both sound good.  Could you post the recipes?  Liz.

• 11-11-2010 5:15 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

TizzyLizzy:
    Could you post the recipes?

One is from the Jiffy site. I find the recipe leaves the breading a bit dry in the roll but discovered if I add a little water to the meat then it comes out jucier. 

• 11-11-2010 10:21 PM In reply to

I make a ground beef stew that my Mum used to make, shepherds pie, spaghetti, lasagna, hamburgers, tacos,meatballs.  With ground pork I make rissoles, (a sort of pork meatball) and  hard boiled eggs wrapped in  ground pork and breadcrumbs then either pan fried or deep fried.  Only have those once and a while like maybe every 3-4 years.  Too hard on the system but I do like them.  Part of my childhood menus.

Sally.

• 11-11-2010 11:26 PM In reply to

swedish meat balls,stuffed cabage and small amounts of the meat spooned in the leaf and bake it speggetti and tomatoes and galic hanburger sauce.   Meat loaf- hambergers with cheese and cheese hamberger cassarole with potaoes in it and twiced baked potaoes with toco hambger stuffing.

Tcos- hamberger stew-chicken stake-pizza topping and hamberger soup.

chrissanne
  • 11-13-2010 4:12 AM In reply to

you say ground meat I'll give you my ideas that we eat with either ground beef, pork or deer. all is browned, fat drained as needed.

wild rice soup, italian meatball soup, chili potpie topped with cornbread, layered enchilada bake, meatloaf i mix my deer meat with pork for meatloaf to keep it moist. biscuts and gravy, dirty rice, beans and rice. chopped suey, hambuger helped type meals (lol) 

cyn

• 11-13-2010 4:45 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

dh says I am the queen of ground meat .. they love my meatload , hamburgers , spaghetti , manacotti,  soups ..  they love my gound meat biscuits  they love all kind of meatballs and they really love just about any casserole .. 

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 11-14-2010 9:30 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

gayla50:
    they love my gound meat biscuits

I have never heard of this. What is it?

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us