Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

I've got a new job...

Last post Thu, Dec 2 2010 2:05 PM by RAO. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 11 2010 12:03 AM

I've got a new job...

I finally found a job that fits into my crazy life but I have one prob. I need lunch ideas. I'm sick of sandwiches, soup and salads. Please hit me with new thrifty ideas. Hot, cold, make ahead, quick fixes... whatever you can think of. I do have an hour for lunch but only have a sink, ice machine, coffee maker and microwave to work with.

Thanks 

cyn

• Thu, Nov 11 2010 12:18 AM In reply to

Re: I've got a new job...

Congratulations!

If you have a microwave, then you have lots of options.   DH and I freeze dinner leftovers in containers and take those for work lunches .. they warm up nicely in the microwave.   

A few ideas: pasta with sauce; chili, stews, fried chicken ... 

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Thu, Nov 11 2010 10:31 AM In reply to

Ditto on the leftover dinners idea. Also, have you tried making your sandwiches using a tortilla (like a wrap) instead of using bread?

Congrats on the job! What a blessing that is. Smile

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Nov 11 2010 11:11 AM In reply to

String cheese and grapes, cottage cheese with fruit, boiled eggs, jerky, fried or baked chicken, green salad with meat, or try putting some leftover meat in a thermos and filling with a complementary soup...Liz.

• Thu, Nov 11 2010 11:52 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

congrats on the new job!   don't have any ideas to add except maybe some cheap frozen entrees for the times you don't have leftovers etc.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, Nov 14 2010 8:38 PM In reply to

Attagirl!  Stir-fries warm up well in a microwave and can be reheated over frozen or leftover rice.  Refried beans, cheese and tortilla chips, or hummus and pita chips or pita toast also work well, if you moderate the garlic in the hummus.

• Sun, Nov 21 2010 7:43 PM In reply to

• slccom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 21 2010
    • Posts 7

Hummus and pita bread, and boiled egg and a couple of slices of cheese are one of my husband's favorites. I also will make 7-layer dip (Mexican) and chips for a nice meal.

Filed under: ,
  • Sun, Nov 21 2010 10:00 PM In reply to

Make sure to take several servings of fresh fruit with you to work, as well as your regular lunch.  It makes a huge difference in the energy level, which is really important with a new job. 

My vote is for leftovers from the previous night's dinner.  I've known a number of people who take their dinner leftovers for lunch in a microwaveable pie plate (covered well with plastic-wrap to prevent leaks)

Sausage and cheese with crackers always makes a nice change-of-pace lunch. 

• Mon, Nov 22 2010 2:03 PM In reply to

I bring leftovers for lunch, and I keep jars of dried fruit I make every summer on my desk, for when the munchies hit.
  • Mon, Nov 22 2010 2:25 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Whenever I make lasagna, enchiladas, or any casserole-type dish, I will freeze one or two servings. That way if there aren't any leftovers from dinner the night before, I can take one of those for lunch.

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us