Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Organizing the Freezer

Last post Fri, Nov 5 2010 11:46 PM by kb999999. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 4 2010 9:35 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Organizing the Freezer

We have a discussion here on labeling items for freezing where I mentioned I freeze items flat when able for my organzing system.

Do you have any particular way you store things in your freezer? Do you have a system for locating the food?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Nov 4 2010 10:14 AM In reply to

• Patti
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 10 2007
    • Posts 232

Re: Organizing the Freezer

Do you have any particular way you store things in your freezer? Do you have a system for locating the food?

I clean out my freezer at least twice a year and rearrange, so I'll know where certain items are.  I put all like items together, with veggies on one side, meat on the other and fruit, etc in middle, with store bought & boxed things in baskets.  I have a deep, very large chest freezer but I would love to have an upright also.  When I recently cleaned out my mom's freezer, i put some boxes in bottom, upside down so she wouldn't have to bend over so low to get things.  I also drew a chart and taped to the wall above her freezer to let her know where things were.  She had stayed for me for almost a year recovering from an illness, so when I took her home, I decided to clean out her freezer(which probably had not been done in years!!)  I really threw away almost anything questionable and my brother took 3 large garbage bags to local landfill to dipose of.

Patti

Loving life in Mississippi

"Do what you like- like what you do!"
  • Fri, Nov 5 2010 8:40 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Patti:
      I really threw away almost anything questionable and my brother took 3 large garbage bags to local landfill to dipose of.

That must have been quite a job!

How large is her freezer?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Nov 5 2010 10:10 AM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

It all depends how full my freezers is on how much I rearrange things. If they are about empty I will go ahead and rearrange it. Of course there has been a time or two that my freezer was full and there was small empty spots in between food that I wasn't happy with so it got rearrange. The last 2 months I have been able rearrange it easy. Know that the holidays are coming I might not be able to do any of the rearrange until after the holidays. Of course I have a small chest freezer in the house that I use mostly and a chest freezer out in the garage for the over flow.
  • Fri, Nov 5 2010 12:20 PM In reply to

When I clean out, I group items on shelves and make myself a chart so I can find and keep track of what's in there. Must finish the chart for the recently defrosted  basement freezer.  AM

• Fri, Nov 5 2010 12:55 PM In reply to

I also try to group like things together.  I put all the chicken together, all the bison together (unless I have so much that I can't like when I first order it) and all the pork together, but it's all meat so I try to put it on one shelf.  Then I put all my corn together and all the zucchini together on the same shelf.  I have an upright freezer because I'm short and I have to almost climb in my mom's chest freezer to get anything.  I have a basket on the bottom of the freezer and I put store bought boxed type items or bags in there.

• Fri, Nov 5 2010 8:50 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

My freezer is an upright. I have a fruit shelf, a veggie shelf, a meat shelf , then a whatever shelf....break, pie, cheese. Door shelves have apple cider, homemade juice, butter...... Most of the time this works. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Fri, Nov 5 2010 9:05 PM In reply to

Ummmm, my freezers are two chest freezers, both smallist. They are both full with garden produce and bread and berries, some cooked oatmeal. I did arrange them when I last defrosted, but they are so stacked that the plastic bags slide around. I do try to freeze flat, also just drop a bag into a space to fit it in. I wish I had shelved freezers.

• Fri, Nov 5 2010 11:46 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi... I, too, group like items on each shelf in my upright freezer. Use the door shelves for smaller items, butter, cheese, ect ... On top shelf, one tray for thaw and warm meals, easy for busy days. Keep a list on the door, mark as remove/add items, ect ... Use masking tape to mark bags, containers with what they are and date everything equals no mysteries.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us