Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

What kind of slow cooker's does everyone have?

Last post Thu, Nov 18 2010 8:43 PM by zohnerfarms. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 2:11 PM

What kind of slow cooker's does everyone have?

The reasons I ask this question is I have a newer crockpot about 4 years old that is crazy fast it's from Corningware and I have my older one which seems like it's crazy slow but normal for that old of a crockpot I would say it is 20+years old which was my mom's ( she bought a new 3 in 1). I am sure I have more questions but will asks in this post as I think of them :O) thanks ahead of time 

Question one = when making a recipe for things like custard are you using an old crockpot or newer?

Question two= when making a recipe for things like meatloaf are using old crockpot or newer?

Question three=does meatloaf turn out mushy (due to moisture created from the crockpot) in the crockpot?

Question four = are you using a basic crockpot that has only off/low/high or are you using a programmable one?

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 3:10 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: What kind of slow cooker's does everyone have?

We have 4 crock pots. The smallest one is 1.5 quarts and I use that to reheat frozen soups and stews. Occasionally I make small soups from scratch in it and its got a high/low setting.

My second crock pot is a Rival 6 Quart - Ceramic pot - Low - High - Warm settings - used for large soups, stews and sauces.

My third crock pot is a 6 Quart Nesco that has a metal pot and has 5 settings: Slow Cook 150 degrees - Cook 250 degrees - Roast 300 degrees Bake 350 degrees and Steam 400 degrees. This is my most versatile cooker especially in emergencies. It has a rack that elevates things like meatloaf and poultry. It has knob settings, not digital.

My fourth crock pot is a 4 quart Hamilton Beach that has Low-High-Warm settings and has a locking lid to prevent spills while transporting.

I've only done a meatloaf in my Nesco. I have heard that you can place meat items on a bed of vegetables or make a bed of tin foil balls for the meat to sit on. If you can find a small elevated rack that would fit in the crock pot, that would keep the meatloaf from being overly saturated.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 4:52 PM In reply to

I have a Crock Pot Verasa Ware Pro that was a Christmas gift.  You can use the ceramic insert on the stove and then just plop it into the base.  It has Low, High and Warm settings which seem to run pretty hot and it doesn't retain moisture well at all.  There seem to be a couple of hot spots in the base and if I leave the pot on low for the day, I have to make sure I add extra liquid. 

I've never made meat loaf in it so can't answer the questions.

Not sure I would recommend it...

Susan in MI

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Sun, Nov 7 2010 1:03 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

a hamilton beach I picked up from value village basically new after xmas..oval one  just 3 settings hi low warm.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, Nov 7 2010 1:24 AM In reply to

I have a 6 quart oval slow cooker that is programable. I can't remember the brand. I have a 4 quart round Rioval crock pot. I have a 1.5 quart Proctor Silex slow cooker.

Mom got me the 2 smaller slow cookers just before her stroke in 2007.

I have 2 GFs....one is big. I have a huge electric skillet by Presto.

• Sun, Nov 7 2010 1:26 AM In reply to

I cook meatloaf in my oven.

• Sat, Nov 13 2010 5:08 AM In reply to

I have a new Hamilton Beach 5 qt crock Pot that I just purchased for $20 in October.  It was reduced half price as the store was going out of business (Fields) and clearing all their merchandise.  I have not used it yet.

I do meatloaf in my countertop oven.    Not a toaster oven - it is better than that.  Sally.

• Mon, Nov 15 2010 9:46 AM In reply to

I currently have three. My stepmother's old crock pot, that is so old it doesn't have a removable crock. (Hard to clean, that way.) I have a round 5-quart that I picked up at a thrift store and a smaller one (2 or 3 quart) I got from dh's grandmother. We had a 6-quart "Smart crock," but we wore it out.

I use the SMALLER crock pot for things like dried beans, lentils and split pea soup. It softens them up more quickly. My husband said it's because of the higher surface ratio of the crock, since the heat comes through the crock. (Hubby is an engineer.) It takes forever for these things to soften properly in the larger crocks.

I use the larger one for whole chickens, turkey breast, roasts, etc. Meatloaf does well in there, too, especially with a rack. I wrap the loaf in cheesecloth to keep it together. With the chicken, afterward, I'll pour the liquid through a sieve and into a freezer container. Then I have frozen chicken broth ready for when I need it. It's especially tasty if I've cooked the chicken with onions, peppers and carrots.

• Mon, Nov 15 2010 10:20 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I have 4  the new great big one is a rival  it huge

then 2 small old crockpot are  rival 

and the small one is by  Sears it a regular

I love my crock pot .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Nov 15 2010 10:44 PM In reply to

• Becky
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 23 2007
    • Posts 574

I have my 5.5 quart programmable crockpot that came with a tiney crock pit that is perfect for a can of chili and two smaller ones that I picked up at Walmart for $5.00 each that I use for keeping things hot when we do buffett style meals.

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us