Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

No laundry hook-ups

Last post Sun, Oct 24 2010 11:38 PM by Sallybabe56. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 22 2010 9:28 AM

No laundry hook-ups

I've lived in apartments with no laundry and now my own (very old) house has no laundry hook-ups as well.  The stairwell is too narrow for a washer and the floors won't take the weight of a washer full of water. 

Anyways, I found this little Haeir washer at the second hand store and thought I'd try it.  It hooks up to the bathroom sink and drains there, too.  (I had to put a HM "sock" on the end to catch the lint, though.)  It can wash about 3 items in one load without wigging out.  I paid $30 for it and it's saved me about $300 over the summer if I had to guess. 

If anyone else is in this situation, what have you found that works well?

• Fri, Oct 22 2010 11:39 AM In reply to

Re: No laundry hook-ups

Not a matter of my experience, but, should I need to, I would try the plunger-like rapid laundry washer available from Lehman's.http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Goods___Laundry___Washing___Rapid_Laundry_Washer___66RW?Args= I believe I could use it effectively. A wringer would be nice to have as well.  AM

• Fri, Oct 22 2010 12:10 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

3-dog family:

If anyone else is in this situation, what have you found that works well?

I have been. I handwashed using a plastic tote for a tub, a new plunger for an agitator and a scrub board.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Oct 22 2010 12:36 PM In reply to

Well, I've lived in many apartments with no laundry hookups, but probably back in 1985, I bought from Sears a washer and dryer.  They could be side-by-side, or stacked, depending on where we were living.  When they were side-by-side, I put a nice tablecloth over them (to hide them) and had extra counter space IN THE KITCHEN. 

The washer could be rolled over to the kitchen sink.  The dryer, I used a nylon stocking to cover the air vent, so no lint would cause dust in the apartment.

Another apartment had a closet in the kitchen, so we stacked them there ~ again, rolling the washer over to the sink. 

Just google portable washers and dryers, and NOW they are made as one unit! 

Having our own, is worth the investment .... in time and money!

• Fri, Oct 22 2010 12:55 PM In reply to

That sounds really coolm JM.  I haven't found any of the type you're describing, though.  I wonder if Sears stopped making them.

I tried the handwashing before I found this little washer.  The problem was that I just couldn't get enough water out of the clothes to have them dry before Christmas. 

• Fri, Oct 22 2010 1:58 PM In reply to

It washes 3 items at a time?   Just curious ... what size items?  Like jeans and shirts, or does it just do lighter/smaller items?  

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Fri, Oct 22 2010 2:27 PM In reply to

3-dog, I have the same washing machine and have had it for 9 years now.  I hate being told when to do my own laundry LOL.  However I have put a full washing load in it, towels, sheets, even a light comforter did ok in it.  It is the wet weight you need to watch - about 12lbs of wet clothing.  Otherwise it bottoms out and make it hard for it to spin.  I also have a 110 volt General Electric Dryer that plugs into an ordinary plug socket and that is about the same age.  The washer I brought new and it cost me $500 Canadian and the dryer was about the same and I got the dryer through Home Depot.  I got the washing machine through a private store that has now gone out of business.

I use liquid detergent in the washer as it dissolves instantly.  You can get similar ones from a maker called Danby - just google them.  I love having my own laundry facilities again.

Sally.

• Sun, Oct 24 2010 2:51 PM In reply to

LWolfT:

It washes 3 items at a time?   Just curious ... what size items?  Like jeans and shirts, or does it just do lighter/smaller items?  

I was doing 1 pr jeans with two shirts, but the bearings were squeaking when I did this, so now I'm really careful.  I also started using the 'low' fill setting with the water to save on weight.  I can fill it about 1/2 full with light stuff like socks and underwear and everything still comes out clean.  To save on the cost of hot water I switched to a detergent made for cold water. 

• Sun, Oct 24 2010 2:55 PM In reply to

Hi Sally,

It's great to know that this little washer is durable enough to last 9 years!

You're so right about the wet weight.  Stuff seems to come clean even with the minimal water-useage.  I wonder if that's what they mean about those HE washers. 

I looked hard at the 110 dryers, but couldn't find a simgle good review on them. Can you tell me how yours works for you?

Amen about having your own laundry facilities!  It's definately a liberating experience. 

• Sun, Oct 24 2010 6:27 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

My MOm has a 110 dryer. She bought it used about 11 years ago. It takes more time to dry and is small but it works for her. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us