Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Meals and Moving

Last post Tue, Jun 25 2013 2:21 PM by mattw. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 20 2010 10:47 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Meals and Moving

While we were moving we ended up eating quite a bit of sandwhiches, quick fix foods and some take out. For those with the time to prepare ahead,there must be a better and more frugal way to handle meals.

How have you managed meals while moving?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 11:05 AM In reply to

Re: Meals and Moving

On moving day, I got a crock pot ready of a boston butt (pork roast) and had that cooking at the new house all day. Since we had a fridge, I brought over buns, condiments and drinks. That afternoon, we had pulled pork sandwiches and chips and drinks. We did use paper plates and napkins but it was good to have a hot meal and feed our friends and family.

But...we did order pizza the next day, LOL. Sometimes it's just too much stress.

Erika
  • Wed, Oct 20 2010 11:18 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Great minds think alike .. when we moved to this house I had a pork but in the roaster oven ( which is really a large crock pot)  and crock pot potatoes and crockpot  veggies .  I had dinner or a good snack ...

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Oct 20 2010 1:28 PM In reply to

We were usually so busy with the move that breakfast was doughnuts bought on the discount rack the night before and a hot & ready pizza that the last time we moved was $5 for a large. Not the healthiest thing to eat but quick and easy.

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Wed, Oct 20 2010 2:12 PM In reply to

• allie
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 12 2008
    • Virginia
    • Posts 810

When we moved in August, we got home to northeastern IN from southern VA on Thursday and needed to be back on the road by Sunday evening.  We ate meals like chicken nuggets and fries in the oven, hot dogs, pizza (take out), and on Sunday ate out on our way back to VA.  That was the hardest,most tiring move of my life and I've moved quite a few times.  There is no way I could have kept up with cooking, cleaning up afterwards, and doing all the packing and sorting we had to do so quickly.  We had only spent 4 days at home during July/August and that was 2 days on 2 different weekends.  We didn't have time to pack ahead of time.   As it was, we got most of the things inside the house and had to go back Labor Day weekend to get the rest.  At least that weekend was easier as we spent it with his family and it only took a few hours one day to load the rest of our things.

• Tue, Jun 25 2013 2:21 PM In reply to

• mattw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 25 2013
    • Posts 6

Sounds delicious! I recently got a crockpot and will definitely be making new recipes soon.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us