Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

crockpot yogurt

Last post 09-24-2013 12:55 PM by Gayla57. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (26 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-14-2010 10:05 PM

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

crockpot yogurt

Crockpot Yogurt

Step 1
    Pour half gallon of milk into crock pot. Cover and turn crock
    pot on high. Cook for 2 1/2 hours.

Step 2
    Whisk in 1 cup of powdered milk

Step 3
    Turn crock pot off and let set, covered, for 4 hours.

Step 4
    Remove 2 cups of milk from the crock pot. Pour into bowl and
    mix in 1/2 cup of yogurt. This is a "starter" and contains the cultures that will allow the milk to develop into yogurt. Pour milk and yogurt mixture back into crock pot and stir.

Step 5
    Cover crock pot and wrap with a heavy towel. Let set 8 hours
    or overnight on the counter wrapped in the heavy towel.

Step 6
    Put yogurt in to jars and refrigerate.

If flavored yogurt is desired, you may stir in fruit, honey, jam,
    or other sweeteners.

Experiment to find the flavorings you enjoy.

You can also mix equal parts fruit juice and yogurt to make a
    drinkable yogurt.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 10-15-2010 7:40 AM In reply to

Re: crockpot yogurt

Thank you for posting. I saw the reference for crock pot yogurt. Now this is something I feel comfortable trying.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 10-15-2010 8:15 AM In reply to

Ditto.. but for different reason..DD is lactose intolrant and yogurt price for speciality types like soy etc is killing me lol.. I did some more research and wanted to share 2 links 1 from the crockpot Lady Stephanie O'Dea    as well her friends lactose free types :O) that uses cow, goat, soy, rice, almond or coconut milk in place of regular milk.. I can't wait to share this with a few friends too :O)

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/

Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 3
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• 10-15-2010 8:25 AM In reply to

My recipe is similar only I use a couple envelopes of Knox gelatin in place of the powdered milk.    I also used liquid probiotics instead of the yogurt. 

If you choose to use yogurt, use a real, unsweetened, unflavored yogurt.  The "fake" yogurts like yoplait and all these dessert yogurts are not starter yogurts.  (Dannon plain is a good one from a regular store)

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 10-15-2010 8:42 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

thanks for the head up about lacto off to talk with my niece ...  thank thank you .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 07-26-2011 10:14 PM In reply to

Addicted to crockpot yogurt..Love this recipe worked great when I did it the first time I used powdered milk and processed as the recipe stated :O0 was a little thin due to I should have let it sit longer...10 hours...today I am making my first batch using whole milk and I will see how it goes...update tomorrow...

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/

Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 3
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• 07-26-2011 10:57 PM In reply to

Mom just saw the recipe gayla now she can get rid of the partial gallion of milk she likes stuff like this.

• 07-27-2011 7:42 AM In reply to

This is on my to do list for fall. DH has decided that he loves smothies. We will have lots of frozen fruit to use in them.   I have lots of powdered milk so will use up some of it.Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 08-09-2011 3:24 PM In reply to

• RAO
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-27-2009
    • Illinois
    • Posts 207

Thanks so much for posting this recipe!  I always wondered whether you could do this - makes sense, but I did not want to experiment when I know other ways to make yogurt (I use an electric heating pad for the extended phase, and have used it up to 16 hours).  This way looks so much more convenient.  I make yogurt by the gallon, so will modify accordingly - think I will use a thermometer to adjust the times to heat up and cool down.  Right now use the stovetop to heat milk to 180, then cool to 115 before mixing in with yogurt starter.

Also, I have a hard time finding a small size of plain yogurt with live cultures in my area.  Have been sucessful using a fruit on the bottom type yogurt (leaving the fruit where it is), also with a vanilla yogurt.  Always look for a label that says live cultures.  Have never made with gelatin, though I suppose that would give it a firmer set.  I have been eating a lot of yogurt lately, with homemade granola and either some cherry syrup or jelly.  Good stuff!  Wish I could remember granola recipe - was from a woman named vanessa Barrington or something like that.  I got it from a magazine, but later found it when I was looking thru her cookbook (from the library).  Wish I could be more specific.

• 08-09-2011 4:00 PM In reply to

I use plain yogurt for culture as well and keep it on hand in the freezer.  I fill an ice cube tray with plain yogurt and freeze, pop them into a zip-loc and they keep forever in the deep freeze.  I use four 'cubes' for a batch of yogurt - let them thaw and come to room temp before using...Liz.

Page 1 of 3 (26 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us