Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Your Home Office

Last post Wed, Oct 13 2010 7:59 AM by Brandy. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 12 2010 3:23 PM

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Your Home Office

Recently Brandy was talking about her move to a new house and the fact that she and her husband needed a "Home Office"

Got me wondering what people have for a Home Office.

Do you have a separate room where you do all your paperwork/computer work/filing?

Is your Home Office spread out in a couple of rooms?

Do you have a special desk or location?

What supplies do you have on hand to make your office run smoothly?

What would you like to change about your Home Office?

DH works out of a binder at the dining room table. Our files are in a cabinet close by. The computer and printer/copier and resource material is upstairs in my craft room at the other end of the house. We make it work but I wish everything was kept together in one place.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Tue, Oct 12 2010 4:21 PM In reply to

Re: Your Home Office

We both work out of a home office, but it's difficult sharing the same desk and computer.  There is no room for files near the desk and no room for the desk anywhere else, so I work out of the plastic file-boxes.  I do books, drawings, quotes, etc.  DH does web design, artwork and engineering as needed after he's done with his day-job, which means that I have to clear the desk or risk my stuff being jumbled. 

We solved the issue of one-computer-two-people with a large external jump drive to keep my files separate from his.  This worked marvelously, and I keep the jump drive in one of those little buckets that fit inside my file boxes, along with 'my' pens, sticky notes, envelopes, checks, etc.  The down side is that I need to move the file boxes from their storage area and place them on the floor or other boxes to set up my workspace every day, which is a real pain. 

I will need a new computer for this years upgrade to Quickbooks, which needs a 2G processor.  When I get the new computer I'll be able to move my office out of the house and I'm really counting the days until then. 

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 4:52 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

We have a spacious computer desk with 6 drawers and a 2 drawer file cabinet next to it.  Everything we need is located in the drawers, the file cabinet, and on the computer.  When we have our monthly budget meeting we pull up an extra chair and reveiw it on the computer and on paper.  We have the computer, pens, pencils, paper, paper clips, stapler, white out, scissors, files, our Total Money Makeover book, our FPU textbook, and other items located in the drawers and file cabinet.  We don't print/copy at home--the library only charges .10 per page which is less expensive than maintaining our own copier/ink.  We rarely need to make copies or print so that works for us.

What would I change?  I would like a smaller desk that was an "L" shape so the surface area was easier to use.  A high speed cable connection would be great but we all we have available is satellite connection.  We pay all bills online, and access our accounts online--a speedier connection would be great.  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 5:32 PM In reply to

We have a desk area in the kitchen that works ok for a home office. The surface area is not very big so the printer and my laptop take up room. There is also a vertical file holder that we put biils in order of due date and a box of "needs to go through" mail or papers along with a basket of pens/pencils that seems to overflow.

If we have to work on the budget, our accounts or pay bills together (both online and snail mail) and need space, we move to the kitchen table.

Our filing cabinets would fit under the desk area (2 drawer) but we would have no room for our legs, LOL. So both are down in the basement in a storage room. I have a cabinet across from the desk that I keep current papers (our medical flex info, investment and bank account info, tax information, daycare and mortage info and insurance info), so I can reach it easily. At the end of the year, it goes down to the filing cabinets.

I would like a dedicated office space in the house but I do love having a nook in my kitchen as it is the hub of the house. At our old house, we did have an office in the basement and I found I would lug things upstairs to the dining room table instead of working by myself in the basement. A larger work surface would be nice so I could spread out papers and work on the computer. Right now, I pull out a drawer and balance papers on top of that.

DH and I have talked about turning our "formal" living room into an office/library so that it gets more use. It's something that would not cost much to "repurpose" the room. Just rearrange furniture and make sure we have plenty of electrical outlet/power strip support. However, as a messy desk person, I would not like to have this be the first thing people see when they enter my home. It will take some thought.

Erika
  • Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:00 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

DH has a home office he does all the work he can at home

it a normal office computer, file cabinet lots of storage and his books 

I go in there to get some kind of record when needed

my office is in the kitchen I keep my books , the budget and journals in there DH is excellent about making me a place to work from .. I have a tall file cabinet in the back of my pantry with our food storage and freezer list ..

I love the fact I have a nice view and it in the heart of the home ..  

we dont allow computer off and away from us we make the young children keep the computers in the school room ( yes we have one ) and they have a file cabiner  I think they probably print alot of junk but we give them room to grow ,,,

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:23 PM In reply to

Our "office" is our homeschool room.  We have 3 computer desks each seperated by a short file cabinet.  In the middle of the room I have a large rolling metal bookshelf.  It is usually seperating one boy from the others.  Beside him I have a homemade table with a pencil sharpener and score keys.  It "spills" out into a bathroom and my piano studio.  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Tue, Oct 12 2010 9:46 PM In reply to

Our office is one of the bedrooms. We have 2 desks, 2 filing cabinets, and 2 book cases. There are currently 2 computers and 3 laptops on a router, attached to cable modem. We both work from home occasionally (me mostly), so a separate, quiet space where everything we need is handy is a must.

Jill

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 10:03 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

In the home we are moving from, we had space behind the couch where we had a small student desk for me and a regular desk for my husband. It was really open to the living room, too awkward of a space and cluttered.

Now, we have a sunken den/living room that is open to the main level office. Even though it's still an open set up, it's not as bad as before. The office feels like a seperate room with space for the things we need to have in it. We can always put up screens or hangings later for more privacy.

It also has a small walk in closet, a second small closet and cabinets across one wall for out of sight storage. If the rest of the house didn't sell me then seeing that walk in did, heh.

We are still moving things in. We currently have my student desk and the recliner in the office. We need to get the big desk in and some things like the map up on the wall.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 11:25 PM In reply to

Our office is in the laundry room.  It's a large room, where washer, dryer, sink and cabinets are on one end.  On the other end, there's the desk, chair, computer, printer/ table, and file cabinet, kind of grouped together, like a nook.  There's a lounge chair (to curl up with a book and read), and bookshelf.  I also keep my sewing machine on the bottem shelf of the printer table. The desk is by the window, which has a nice window treatment.  All supplies, related to computer/office, are kept in desk drawers.  Art/pictures are on the walls.  It's a nice room.  People comment.  i just wish that the desk was bigger and that the chair was more comfortable.  (It came from my daughter's room.)  I've been looking on Craig's list for some new stuff.

• Wed, Oct 13 2010 12:34 AM In reply to

My office is in my bedroom along with my craft room and under the bed is office supplies and library and more craft gunk and my sewing room is under the bed also a mulity purpose kinda thing maybe I should kill my dust bunny collection so it does not eat my laptop.

Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us